Chapter 5

My head feels fogged up when I wake up a few hours later. It takes me a second to remember where I am.
I make my way to the fanciest bathroom I have ever been in. White marble tiles and a massive mirror are the first things that catch my eye apart from the gigantic tub and the immense shower. I splash my face with the cold water and it jolts me awake and brings me back to my senses. I stare at my reflection in the mirror My messy black hair and casual clothing looks out of place in this fancy environment. I have to make changes if I want to prove that I belong here. Valarie's story might sound suspicious to me but she knows this place better than I do. If I manage to prove that I am of value then I can stay here and master magic. The thought have magical power is addicting. No. The thought of any kind of power is addicting.

I roam around the room for a while, taking in all the furniture. Everything is blue and gold. Next, I enter the balcony and the view leaves me breathless I can see the tiny houses and other buildings, and the forest, never-ending forest. The air has a cold feel to it. By the looks of it, we are further north than I thought we are.

I find my way outside of the room. I stand in the corridor, for a few seconds not sure of where to go. But then decide to try to find milo and hazel, they must be feeling alone in this new and intimidating place.

I soon discover that finding them would be more difficult than I originally thought. The castle or at least the tower that we were in was like a maze. There were about a hundred passageways and about a thousand corridors, and they all look identical with beige walls and red carpet, This whole place felt like Hogwarts for royalty. I also discover that I was lost within ten minutes. Shit. What if I get in trouble for roaming without permission? What if I get punished? What if they kick me out? I have no where else to go. I take a deep breath, it can't be that difficult to find them.With this newfound determination, I run down the corridors, thinking that I would eventually get somewhere. Just as I am running I bump into someone.

"Ouch," I say as I try to catch my breath.

"Excuse me, what are you thinking, running down the hall like this, young lady," the voice says and I look up to see a girl about 15 years old, with silver hair like moonlight and ocean blue eyes, her skin pale a pearl. She is wearing a white pirate shirt with black leather pants and has a brown cloak with a hood, I notice that her boots are covered in mud along with mud splattered on her outfit. She looks like a servant who is responsible for gardening. But she doesn't act like a servant she puts one hand on her hips and scans me from head to toe, with a fierce expression. but her body language remains calm. This girl reminds me of a thunderstorm, perfectly calm and hauntingly beautiful but destructive Then she takes out a dagger and holds it to my throat.

"Who are you and what do you want?" she barks at me. 

"Em..why..should...I ..um..tell you?" I try to put on a brave face but I am trembling.

She gives me a cold and harsh laugh. "Come with me," she says. And starts walking towards the far end of the hall. I stay rooted to the spot, She turns around and says "Did you not hear me?" I start following her and wondering what mess I just got myself into. She leads me through several confusing pathways and a few staircases. Within a few minutes that feel like hours, we are standing outside a plain wooden door. The girl knocks. And to my delight, it is Valarie who opens the door and says "The Queen is bus...." but she stops in the middle of her sentence when she sees the girl.

"Tell her it's me," the girl says, Valarie nods and goes back inside. Now I am really scared, I would hate to get in trouble with the queen on my first day.

"Oh, yeah. I am sure the Queen of Foxtail has time for some servants like you" I say as a last resort. To be honest, at this point, I would give anything to get out of here.