Two

Chapter 2

WE ARRIVED AT one of the PCG's headquarters in Manila after a short while. Sir Brann showed us two available bedrooms with two bunk beds in each. The room was spacious enough to accommodate four people, but I decided to sleep with Lorrane and Alfred. Alexandria, Joe, and Isla would be staying in the other room.

"We'll try to leave tomorrow at five," Sir Brann told us when he knocked on our door to check on us. "Magpahinga muna kayo ngayong gabi."

"Thank you, Sir Brann," I said, smiling politely.

He dipped his head for a brief nod. "Bukas na lang natin pag-usapan ang tungkol sa magiging quarters niyo sa Ilocos."

"Hindi po ba kami sasama sa inyo?" Lorrane asked before yawning. It was too obvious that she was already sleepy. Her eyes were even half-closed.

"As much as we want to give you enough space for your research and other laboratory activities, our quarter is already fully packed with supplies that we all needed for our search and rescue operations. May bodega kami para sa ibang mga gamit, pero hindi ko naman kayo gustong patirahin doon," Sir Brann explained.

"It's alright, sir. We'll just think of some alternatives tomorrow," I told him. "And maybe I can find a place for my team. You don't have to worry too much about that."

Sir Brann threw me a wondering look. He might be thinking, how could I do that if I was only a foreigner in this place? I showed him a half-smile before nodding. I could explain to him about my family, but it was already too late for a long talk about family history. In fact, I was also feeling tired. I've been wanting to sleep since we arrived at the airport.

Lorrane planted a curious look on me after Sir Brann left. "Saan ka naman makakahanap ng matutuluyan natin dito, Sae?"

"May kakilala ka ba sa Ilocos?" Alfred also asked. "Hindi pa ako nakakapunta roon."

"My family owns a rest house in Ilocos. I can call my mom tomorrow to tell her that we need a place to stay while we are here for work," I told them.

Lorrane's eyes sparked with excitement. But it immediately vanished and changed into something like worry. "Saan sa Ilocos? Sa mismong lugar ba na pinangyarihan ng storm surge? Paano kung..." She bit her lip as if to stop herself from talking further.

Alfred clicked his tongue and glared at Lorrane. "Ayan ka na naman sa pagiging negative mo, Lorrane. Hindi ko pa rin nakakalimutan 'yong sinabi mo sa eroplano kanina na baka babagsak tayo sa tubig, ha?"

Lorrane's cheeks became red. "E, kasi naman... Ang dami ko kayang napapanood na balita tungkol sa mga eroplanong bumabagsak sa tubig."

"Alam mo sa kakaisip mo ng ganyan, sigurado akong babagsak ka sa sahig mamayang gabi."

Lorrane pouted her lips and gave Alfred an eye roll. I glanced up at the upper part of the bunk bed and blinked when I saw that it didn't have rails. For someone like Lorrane to sleep there, who usually sleeps like someone is always chasing her in her dreams, she would definitely be falling to the ground.

"You can't sleep up there, Lorrane. Mahuhulog ka," I declared, and Alfred agreed with a quaking laugh.

"Paano 'yan? Wala akong higaan." She threw a sharp look at Alfred. "Ayaw naman ni Alfred na magpalit kami."

"Tabi na lang tayo," Alfred said, making me and Lorrane still.

Lorrane's wide eyes traveled from Alfred to me, then back to Alfred. I could see how her cheeks turned crimson up to her pair of pierced ears. I pursed my lips and climbed up to the upper deck of the other bunk bed and laid down. I wished I could offer Lorrane a space for her to sleep in, but the lower deck of my bed was filled with boxes and other things. I guessed Alfred's idea was better.