Six

Chapter 6

THE NIGHT AFTER, I waited for Joe to have his playtime with Isla by the front porch and rushed into their room where I saw Alexandria getting busy in front of the vanity. She was still wearing a white robe and her damped hair was still tangled. She raised her brows at me when she saw me by the door.

"Bakit?" she asked and turned in her seat to face me.

"I have to consult you with... something," I said before stepping inside the room.

"Let me guess. Tungkol ba 'yan kay Sir Brann?" she asked.

"Puwede."

Her forehead creased. "Anong puwede? Hindi puwedeng puwede."

"Kasali naman siya sa kuwento," I said.

"Ano ba 'yan?"

I stopped beside the bed and sat on the edge before taking a deep breath. Alex never tore her eyes from me as if I was going to drop a life changing news in front of her.

"I've got a teaching offer from the president of the community college this morning," I told her before biting my lower lip.

Alex's eyes widened. "Really? Oh, my God! Tinanggap mo ba?" The light in her face faded when I shook my head gently. "Why didn't you? 'Di ba sabi mo noon gusto mong subukan magturo?"

"I do." I sighed. "Tatanggapin ko naman sana..."

"But...?" She stood and sat beside me on the bed. "I know there's a but. What's stopping you to say yes?"

My throat tightened as if it was stopping me to talk about Triton. Where in fact, he was the reason why I came to Alex to talk to her. I thought she might knew what to do with my situation.

"Triton was there," I said, braving her possible reaction. "He volunteered to teach while they were still looking for a permanent instructor in calculus."

Alex gaped at me. Her eyes widening as she put her hand over her mouth. "Oh, no."

Right. Oh, no. What else would her reaction be?

"You mean to say, nag-usap kayong dalawa kanina?" she asked, lowering her hand and looking at me cautiously.

"Yes. He tried to convince me to accept the position," I replied.

"And? Were you convinced?" She croaked her head to the side.

I stared at my friend. It was actually the same question that I'd been asking myself since I left the school. A major part of me knew that, somehow, even without hearing Triton's words, I would accept the position. I did love teaching. I was fond of kids and education. I liked sharing my knowledge, especially if I was planted in a place where I could put my expertise in use. But there was a small part in me that was backing out after learning about Triton's presence in the school. He'll be there. We would be workmates. We were going to see each other five days a week. And I didn't fucking know how to handle such proximity with him.

"Ganito na lang..." Alex crossed her arms over her chest. "In a scale of one to ten, as ten being the highest, gaano mo kagusto ng tanggapin 'yong offer ng school sa 'yo?"

I thought about it for a second. "Eight."

She nodded understandingly. "And iyong naiwang two points ay dahil sa pag-iisip mo tungkol sa ex mo na makakasama mo sa work."

I winced. "Let's not mention about Triton being my ex."

She raised her brows. "Bakit? Hindi ba totoo naman? He's your ex, Sae. Ex. Let him stay that way. Do what you want. Huwag kang masyadong ma-bother sa presence niya sa lugar na 'to. Kasi in the first place, wala naman na dapat talaga siyang pake sa 'yo. At ganoon ka rin dapat sa kanya. Kasi nga—"