Four

Chapter 4

THE PACKING OF relief goods lasted for three straight days before they were all ready to be distributed. I told Sir Brann that they should be distributing what was available ASAP and shouldn't be waiting for us to finish, but he told me that it was better if we could pack it all before doing it. He argued that the numbers of each batch wouldn't be enough for one barangay and would only cause misunderstanding. I get his point, but I hope he also gets mine. Imagine staying in the evacuation center without anything to eat for days. I only hoped that the other government agencies had already given the victims some relief goods while we were still busy packing.

A loud squeal made me jolt up from my bed on Saturday morning. I haven't had sleep for days already. Last night was the only night I went to bed early—if eleven PM was considered early—and I even counted the hours of sleep I should be getting for waking up at seven.

I glanced at the wall clock just above the full-length mirror near the connecting door to the bathroom and cursed when I read the time.

5:27 AM? Really?

I grunted and shoved myself back into the softness of my bed. I grabbed my blanket and hid myself underneath. But another squeal, followed by booming laughter, hit the vein in my head like a missile.

"Alright. That's it. I'm up," I grumbled to myself before dragging my feet to the cold, cemented floor. I rubbed my eyes as a yawn escaped from my lips.

My back was still warm from being drawn to my bed when the door of my bedroom flung open, and a tiny bundle of joy ran inside like a blur.

"Isla!" I stood up and caught her with my arms. "I got you!"

She made another squealing sound while wriggling in my arms. "Let go!"

"Are you demanding me to let you go, Isla?" My tone was steady, and I didn't have to repeat myself when she calmed down and faced me.

"Please let me go, Tita," she said in her squeaky voice.

I smiled at her before planting a kiss on her cheek. I loosened my embrace, and Isla ran out of the room like nothing had happened. Sighing, I pulled the blanket and folded it before fixing the pillows and stacking them together. After fixing my bed, I went inside the bathroom and did my morning routine.

"Good morning!"

Everyone was present when I finally reached the dining room to get myself breakfast. I spotted Isla sitting on Alexandria's lap; Joe was feeding her. I gave the couple a smile before going to Lorrane's side to grab some loafs.

"Nagpunta pala rito si Sir Brann kanina. Pinapatanong niya kung gusto mo raw ba sumama sa kanya papunta sa community college."

I narrowed my eyes at Lorrane. "Ako lang daw?"

She shrugged. "Ikaw lang naman ang tinatanong, e."

Why would he want me to go to school with him?

"May inutos siyang gagawin namin nila Joe," Alfred said from Lorrane's other side. "Itong dalawa, sasama naman sa mga volunteers para magbigay ng relief goods sa kabilang barangay."

"So, that only leaves me going with Sir Brann?" I started spreading peanut butter onto my loaf.

"He specifically asked for you," Joe said, giving me that look whenever he was worrying about me being assigned with our rescued animals alone. "Do we have to know something we don't know?" He barely tilted his head to the side.

Alex jabbed her elbow at Joe's arm slightly. "What are you talking about? We're only days old in this place, Joe. Are you expecting Saelor to have a thing with the Captain already?"