Seven

Chapter 7

THE FACULTY WAS silent when we entered. It was only the sound coming from the electric fan rotating to share a cold blow of air with the four empty tables that filled the room. There were at least ten mahogany tables in here. Each was filled with random office materials: a mug full of pens and markers, a stack of written and clean papers, a few folders, staplers and punchers, and many other things I could find in a department store. Behind each table was a black swivel chair. Eight of the ten chairs were empty.

"Knock, knock," Triton said, making the two teachers who were left in the faculty jerk their heads toward us. "Nasaan sila, Sir Zef?"

"Pinuntahan nila 'yong Educ building," the man wearing glasses replied while standing. His attention was on me. "Good morning..."

I bowed slightly as Triton introduced me to him. "Sir Zef, this is Miss Saelor. Sae, si Sir Zef. He's the head of the DMNS department."

"It's nice to meet you po, Sir Zef," I greeted and bowed my head again. If he's the head of the Mathematics and Natural Sciences Department, it could only mean that I was going to work under his command.

"Saelor? Ah! Iyong biology instructor ba?" He asked me with a spark in his eyes. I nodded in response. "Nako mabuti naman at mababawasan na rin ang load ko sa mga lower years."

Triton chuckled beside me. "Ganyan din ang sinabi sa akin ni Sir Joel noong pinakilala ako ni Mrs. Real."

A grunt from the other man who didn't leave his table made us look at him. He raised a brow at Triton and said, "Sabi mo noon na kulang pa ang load mo, Engineer. Gusto mo bang ibigay ko pa sa 'yo iyong natitira sa akin?"

A smile bloomed on my lips when Triton shook his head like a scared puppy, making Sir Zef and the other teacher snort.

"I'm fine with my load, Sir Joel," Triton replied before shifting the spotlight back to me. "That's Sir Joel. He's the head of the engineering department."

"Good morning po," I greeted him.

Sir Joel only nodded and crossed his arms in front of him. His eyes were flying from me to Triton before he asked, "Matagal na ba kayong magkakilala?"

I shut my mouth and looked over to Triton expectantly, hoping that he could answer the question alone and wouldn't be dragging me into the hot seat. He seemed to feel my gaze as he swallowed and replied to Sir Joel, "We're friends."

That's it. No more than two words. We're friends. He was right, though. We were friends. Until he confessed his feelings and I reciprocated them with my own.

Sir Joel grunted his reply and went back to doing whatever work he was doing on his desk. Sir Zef asked me if I already had my breakfast, and I said yes.

"Why don't you show Miss Saelor around the campus, Engineer? Baka makita niyo rin ang ibang teachers sa kabilang building. Nandoon lang naman siguro sila," Sir Zef suggested.

Triton glanced at me. His soft eyes were boring into my face. "Do you want to walk around? We can also visit the barracks if you like."

"Sige," I mouthed, and I smiled a little. He returned my smile with a soft one before turning to the two instructors in front of us. They only waved at us dismissively before going back to their businesses.

"Nagkita na ba kayo ni Nemmie?" Triton asked while we were going down the stairs. Out to the hallway through the field in front of the administration building.

I turned my head to look at him on my side. "Akala ko ba hindi siya kasali sa project?"

"She isn't." Triton's lips twitched. "Pero noong nabanggit ka ni Aniel sa kanya, bigla na lang naming nalaman na nag-request siya ng transfer para makapunta siya rito."