Eight

Chapter 8

I WALKED WHERE Nemmie and Isla were still playing and cuddling each other. Isla must've recognized me, so she went grinning and laughing like I was some sort of a clown. I fake a pout which made her laugh louder. Nemmie, who was focused on Isla's reaction, lifted her head and turn toward me. Her jaw literally dropped and began screaming.

"Saelor!" She jogged to me and wrapped me in a tight embrace. I laughed and hugged her back. "I was planning to meet you tonight!"

"It's nice to see you, Nemmie," I told her. I felt her squeezing me before pulling away. "Nathaniel told me that you're not supposed to be here."

"I came here for you." She grinned. "At saka—believe me—kakailanganin din naman nila ako rito."

"Tita!" Isla called, and both of Nemmie and I looked at her. "Tita!"

"Come here." I stretched my hand and motioned her to come over. Nemmie raised both her brows and gave me a look. I looked back at her. "Bakit?"

She blinked. "You know the kid?"

"She's the resident boss baby in our lab," I replied and crouched to gather Isla in my arms. "Aren't you?" I asked Isla and kissed her chubby cheek. She giggled.

Nemmie was still watching the two of us when Joe went near, Triton and Nathaniel following him from behind. I stopped playing with Isla and stood, carrying her in my arms. I tried to avoid Triton's eyes which I knew were drilling holes on my side as I pass Isla to Joe.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him and gave Isla's arm a pat.

"I'm trying to give Isla the time to visit other places," he replied. "We were at the river when she said she wanted to see you."

"There's a river here?" I did not have time to roam around the community. And I had, I only used it to sleep and converse with myself in front of the mirror about seeing Triton and working with him. "Did you see any animal that's roaming around? Maybe an endangered one who lost his habitat?"

"There's none," Joe replied. "The trees were rooted out, though. If there are affected out there, it might be the birds and monkeys."

"There are no monkeys here," Nathaniel answered from behind Joe. Joe twisted to look at him. Nathaniel shrugged. "I guess."

"Baka meron. Pero nasa bundok sila," Nemmie added, "Bakit ba natin pinag-uusapan ang mga unggoy?"

I smiled and shook my head. I caught Triton's gaze at me and since I had the strength to meet it, I did and raised my brows at him.

"Why?" I mouthed. He only inclined his head to the side and went to talk with Nathaniel. Okay. That was weird.

"Where's Alex?" I asked Joe after he put Isla back to the ground and the kid began running around us.

"She went with Alfred to check in the PCG's headquarters. We've got the report this morning that the dolphins are arriving."

My heart thrummed at the news. They were finally arriving. I could finally got to examine them and help them. I would have to have my schedule checked so that I could adjust my time and gave them most of it. I would be—

"You're not thinking about giving up the deal, are you?" Joe's tone caught me off-guard. My wide eyes looked at him as if he was arresting me for a crime that I was only yet thinking of doing. "You only gave your answer this morning, Saelor. Your words are still fresh. Don't take it back so quickly."

I took a deep breath. "That's not what I was thinking." But Joe only moves his shoulders as if I wasn't convincing him enough. "I'm just worried that my work here at school will affect our main reason for coming in this town."