Chapter Twenty-Two: Orientation

The graduation ceremony was nice.

Lots of bagels with cream cheese, some public speakers. A few jokes about plant growth, which everyone had laughed at. Though Kiyora hadn't laughed as much as she ought to. And now Kiyora was sitting in an entry hall for the Dream Police landing bay.

It was grown from the roots of Actovosh, like everything else in this city. Kiyora wondered what living in a society where you made buildings out of stone was like. Or cut wood. William did, but Kiyora had only spent a little time needing those things. She was usually in and out, so there was no substitute for living.

Though dreaming in Seathorius had been an eye-opener.

The note from Laurus said;

Just arrived at boot camp. The drill sergeant gave us hell, but I did my research and knew what to do and not to do. Apparently, I will have to shave my head and be here for thirteen weeks.

Pretty brief.

I've read that you only wash out if you quit or get a health issue. I should be fine. How are things going on the fleet?

Kiyora typed a response;

Just arrived at starport on the moonbase, Laurus. I can't imagine you with a shaved head. Why the infantry?

Laurus' response;

I like guns and mysteries. If I can learn to use guns and learn some military discipline, it can help me with both. Besides, I can keep in touch with you guys and tell you how things work out here.

My company will be assigned to somewhere with a lot of combat. I'd love to kill Falcovian cartels. Or Melchious.

If I could get a load of scrap metal into that scumbag's face, it'd be worth a lifetime of possession.

Reya said;

Just stay focused.

First, you have to pass boot camp. We don't have to shave our heads here; girls aren't expected to. Many people find the person they marry when they join the fleet. Or they meet their future harem wives and bond with them, then find the husband later.

I'm going to be serving under Lieutenant Escalus. You remember her from the Department of Spiritual Defense. So I already know my officer. Though she will probably link up with me on the ship later. You might see her.

Gisora said;

Statistically speaking, most high school relationships fall through after adulthood. It's why I didn't bother with the dating scene at all.

Laurus said;

Who cares?

We're not here to make friends. We should focus on doing our jobs the best we can to advance in rank and impress our superiors. Focusing on performing well and learning will make us more likely to come back alive and promoted.

That is why we're here.

Kiyora said;

Good point.

I'm cutting this branch chatroom; I have to focus.

Laurus:

Won't be able to keep in contact after this. They confiscate personal communicators to get you out of the civilian mindset.

See you on the other side, guys.

Gisora:

I may see you, Kiyora, at the starport. We'll both be going on ships there.