Chapter 9 - Maile & Inker's first night together

"What kind of accident was it?" Inker asked, hoping he wasn't intruding too much.

"A drunk ran the red light and t-boned my car the night I ran away from my ex-husband after I found out he had been cheating on me. My daughter, Leilani, was in her carseat right behind me but because the main impact was directly on her, she was killed instantly. She was only 2 years old.

I was thrown to the side but my leg went out the door which shredded and wrapped itself around my leg. My leg was broken in four places and some of the muscles were cut. They wanted to amputate it but thankfully I had a good surgeon and he spent over 8 hours putting pins in my leg and stitching together as many of the muscles as he could. I lost a little over 2" in length on my left side but he basically rebuilt and managed to save my leg, which I will forever be grateful to him for. That's why I limp a little and I have to have special soles made for my shoes." Maile shared with him.

"Wow. So sorry for the loss of your daughter. That must have been rough." Inker said, unsure of what to say.

"They had me in a drug induced coma for the first two weeks after my surgery to keep me still while my leg healed and then when I woke up, my first thoughts were of her. When they told me she had been killed in the accident, I became so hysterical that they had to put me under again.

Andrea was my nurse and she took such good care of me. She told me that my parents had been there often but that my ex only showed up once and he didn't stay for very long while I was out. He was lucky that time because no one knew what had happened that led up to the accident at that point or my father would have killed him.

When I finally came to, that jackass came only because he wanted to know what I wanted done with her remains and then the next and last time he came, he had the nerve to ask for some of the money I had received for our daughter's death.

My father had talked to the insurance company and blocked him from being able to collect anything until I woke up. Kaleo had borrowed money from a loan shark for his gambling debts and he wouldn't work so he couldn't pay them back. I refused to give him money because it was his fault our daughter was dead in the first place.

I was lying in a hospital bed, I couldn't even get up to go to her funeral, which I later found out that my father had already had her body cremated because she had been so badly................... " Maile had to stop and take several deep breaths, not even realizing that her face was covered with tears until Inker turned on the bench they were sitting on and slid closer to her and wrapped his arms around her pulling her in to let her cry on his chest.

"Shhh. Baby, it's okay. Let it out. Let it all out. I'm right here. I've got you." Inker whispered comfortingly, letting her get it all out. He stroked her hair and slowly took a deep breath, capturing her scent as he held her firmly.

"I'm sorry but it's still so hard to talk about it. She was the most beautiful little girl and none of it was her fault. She was my world. I miss her so much!" Maile cried, deep heart wrenching sobs that made Inker's heart hurt. He didn't know what had happened between her and her husband but right now he wanted to choke him.

When Maile calmed down, she told Inker "I'm sorry but so much happened in such a small amount of time that even though it has been over four years ago, I still have a hard time dealing with it. Plus a lot has happened today and I guess I'm just tired."

"I understand. Would you like to go rest?" Inker asked.

Just then, Kelly, who was staying over for a night with Natalie and Thor so that Dr. & Mrs. Allen, Leon and Tasha could work on getting their new house ready for them to move in. Some of the men were over there tonight, doing the final painting and finishing work and helping to move in some of the "unnecessary" furniture. Hopefully all of the paint would be dry tonight and they could move in their bedroom furniture tomorrow.