Chapter 11 - Inker proposes & Maile's new shop!

Everyone got cleaned up, made sure everything in the shop was turned off and locked up and then they all left the shop. Since it was going to be dark soon, Inker asked if they could use Maile's car. "We try not to ride at night. It's too dangerous. People don't respect a bike on the road like they do another car." Inker explained.

"No problem. Would you drive?" Maile said.

"Sure. You okay, babe?" Inker asked. He noticed she was being rather quiet.

"Yeah. I'm fine." She smiled at him but it didn't reach her eyes. Noone had ever been able to explain it and even Maile didn't fully understand it but sometimes she would get feelings about stuff that was about to happen.

She was very quiet all the way to the restaurant and all through dinner and Inker sensed that something was wrong but didn't want to push her in front of Doug and possibly piss her off or embarrass her.

When Doug got up to go get dessert, Inker leaned over and softly asked her "What's wrong, baby? I can't help fix it if I don't know what it is."

"Do you believe in premonitions?" Maile asked and Inker's eyes got big.

"Yeah. I believe that some people get them. Why?" Inker said.

"Sometimes, I get a strange feeling, like something is going to happen and then it does. I can never tell who it's going to involve or what is going to happen, I just get this weird feeling. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop or like you've forgotten something and it bugs you until you remember it but it's more intense. Sometimes it's a good thing and I feel really happy but this time I feel almost scared, so I don't think it's going to be a good thing." Maile told him.

"Oh, I bet that is frustrating as hell. But don't worry. I won't let anyone hurt you." Inker said, not sure what to say but wanted to comfort her.

"Can we follow Doug home tonight, just to make sure he gets there okay? He's riding a bike, isn't he?" Maile asked. She didn't want to see the young man she had been getting to know get hurt.

"Sure. If it gives you peace of mind, we can." Inker said.

"I think I'm going to text Andrea and make sure she and Joshua are okay and maybe ask them to drive by the shop on their way home." Maile said as she pulled her phone out of her purse.

She sent Andrea a quick text and her friend knew without asking that she was having one of her "feelings". She'd had one the night before Andrea had gotten the call about her dad and had been very quiet and couldn't sleep the night before it had come in because she was worried about something bad happening but she didn't know what it was.

Andrea assured her that they were both okay and that they were about to go to the store and would drive by the shop to check on things for her.

"Make sure you text me back when you get back to the apartment." Maile sent her back a text before dropping her phone back in her purse.

Doug came back with a big bowl of ice cream covered brownie and while both Maile and Inker agreed that it looked delicious, neither one of them wanted anything else to eat and just enjoyed a cup of coffee while they waited for him to finish. The restaurant wasn't particularly busy tonight but there was a steady flow of customers going in and out.

As soon as Doug was finished with his dessert, Inker grabbed the check the waitress who had come to take their dirty dishes had left on the table and after helping Maile stand up, they headed for the register. Doug dropped ten dollars on the table for the tip and followed them.

They were almost to Maile's car when suddenly they heard a scream that sounded like it was coming from behind a store across the street.

"No! No! Please don't! Stop! Somebody, please help me!" A female voice screamed. Inker looked at Doug and then told Maile, "Get in the car and don't come out. Prez is number 1 on the speed dial. Call him and tell him what is going on and to send reinforcements." Inker told her as he shoved his cell phone at her, gave her a quick kiss on her forehead and then he and Doug took off running across the street as they drew their guns.