Nightshade Dying

Bella's heels clicked as she walked quickly to catch up with Adar. He was rambling, and talking in riddles.

"If the sun insists on shining, we will come out at night!" Adar cried. Samirah seemed to be in on the joke, but Bella was confused. She wasn't completely unfamiliar with Zillah's religion, but Bella still gazed at Adar in confusion.

"It's a way of saying that if someone won't stop being cruel, we can just ignore them," Samirah said.

"Okay," Bella whispered.

"So, I've been invited to tea with a countess or something, in a week," Adar said, walking backward. He grinned at Bella, but there was something behind it. "Please, please, please tell me you'll be there. I don't think I can stand being alone with some random Augustian noble."

"No," Bella shook her head. She smiled faintly. "Don't you have a plus one, though?"

"Yes, but I'm inviting Samirah," Adar sighed. He slung his arm around Bella and Samirah's shoulders. "I'm sure you understand–it's a safety thing, of course. Who else will worry about poison and knives in my biscuits?"

"Who else will keep you alive?" Samirah rolled her eyes.

"Depending on who you're meeting, those are valid concerns," Bella said. Samirah and Adar gaped at her.

"You just–are court members killing each other left and right in this hellhole?" Adar exclaimed. Samirah elbowed him.

"In the last...two years there have been many deaths," Bella shrugged. "Assassinations. Betrayals and back stabbings. Lord Roan was assassinated by a group of Windshake sympathizers last week."

"But the war's over," Adar said.

"Some people are still angry," Bella said softly. He looked left and right to make sure they weren't being overheard.

"Of course they are," Samirah said. She hissed softly and looked like she wanted to take back her words.

Bella just shrugged.

"Samirah, what's your title?" Bella asked. Samirah smiled in pride.

"I'm the captain of the guard," she declared. Bella's eyebrows rose.

"You're very important," was all she could say. In Augustia, being the captain of the guard was an important job, but it wasn't a noble position. Certainly not one that would warrant a trip across the ocean.

"Yes, especially because Adar is an idiot," Samirah said. I assumed she was a relative. Bella thought. This is excellent! Maybe I won't have to marry him!

"You say that affectionately," Adar said. Samirah shook her head at Bella. Bella laughed.

"Tell me about this countess we're to have tea with," Adar said. "It's Countess Mira–"

"The thief!" Samirah exclaimed. She looked left and right to see if there was anyone who might be listening. Bella decided it was time for them to find somewhere private to talk.

"Let's come back to this," Bella said. "Why don't we go to my sister's sitting room?"

"Your mother's?" Adar asked. "Don't you have one?"

"Not exactly," Bella said sheepishly. "I mean, I have my-erm–study?"

"Oh! I want to see it!" Adar exclaimed. "What do you study, Princess Belladonna?" Samirah glared at him and hissed something under her breath. Adar put his hand on her face and shoved her away.

"It's an office? A room where I do my...hobbies?" Bella said. She blushed and looked away. "It's not really the place for–"

"What hobbies? Needlework? I don't see why not." Adar asked.