Drowning

"He's awake!" Samirah said. She shook Bella awake.

"What?" Bella asked, and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Then it hit her. "Adar–he's awake?"

"Yes!" Samirah cried. There were tears in her eyes. "He's awake! And walking and talking! Come on, Bella!" Samirah tugged on Bella's arms and pulled her to her feet. Together the two raced down the halls with reckless abandon.

Samirah swung the door open with such force that Bella was taken aback. There was something off. She furrowed her brow together and tried to figure out what–it almost felt like she forgot something, but still, it wasn't quite right. Something in the air was stirring, awakening. It felt like power.

Bella recoiled. Confused and almost alarmed with herself, she walked behind Samirah quickly. Adar is awake...and you're engaged to him. Bella pursed her lips together.

"Are you going to tell him?" Bella whispered anxiously to Samirah. Bella put her hand on Sairah's shoulder but quickly pulled away when she got shocked.

"Whatever, fine," Samirah said. Then she took Bella's hand and pulled her into a run.

"You're going to rip my arm off!" Bella snapped, but she started laughing.

"It's your fault for being slow!" Samirah exclaimed. She opened the final door, to the sitting room of the wing. Inside, was Adar sitting on the couch.

He still looked sick. His skin was pale with almost a green tint. His eyes, which usually had a reddish look that reflected his magic, were downcast and cast over with a blue shine. Anxiety seized Bella's heart. Surely he will get better, if he's only just awoken it's natural for him to still be in recovery.

"How are you?" Bella asked quietly. Adar smiled sadly.

"Not good," Adar laughed. He went quiet. "Damn, how many days was it, Samirah?" Samirah sighed.

"Six," she said. Adar clenched his jaw.

"I need to leave this place," Adar said. Bella saw the fear overtake his features. He started pacing, while Samirah tried to convince him to sit down.

"Do they know you're awake?" Bella asked.

"Surely the doctors must have told the queen when you woke up," Samirah said. The worry in her eyes still hadn't faded, even as Adar spoke and walked. Bella wondered when it wound, for both herself and Samirah's sake. "Thank the gods you did." Samirah pulled a smooth stone out of her pocket and clenched her fists around it. Bella thought it had something written on it in Zillah's written language, but she wasn't sure what it said. Mother...something? Madam Mother? Bella shook her head.

"I need to leave," Adar closed his eyes like he was trying to remember. "You really need to go, Samirah. They could try again. Tell me you've been careful."

"Of course I have," Samirah rolled her eyes. "I find it doubtful that they're going to try again, considering the lengths the queen went to hide her involvement. The assassin–she's talked to Bella, Adar. She's the one in danger."

Bella's heart jumped up to her throat and she sputtered. Samirah and Adar both turned to face her. "Me?"

"Of course," Samirah said. "You're proven to be a political threat. Especially if you can gain favor from the people–which you're doing. Giving away money? The people will love you, and since they hate the queen that makes you a danger to Thirza's rule."

"Are you kidding?" Bella laughed. It was so stupid it was funny. She took off her gloves and flexed her fingers. Samirah raised an eyebrow, and Adar leaned forward. A smile spread across his features, the first real smile Bella had seen from him since he awoke. Bella melted the iron in her rings, nearly scorching her fingers in the process. She raised the metal until it was eye-level. "I can barely hold this, and you think Thirza is scared of me? The immortal queen, who assassinated all her rivals, wouldn't even bother with me."