Chapter 1

Sometimes it felt like life was totally against me. One minute I'm at peace with who I am, then the next I don't like who I am. It was hard fitting in anywhere even when I was passable for a human. That's due to my dragon side really.

Most dragon shifters really did look human, unless you looked close enough to see the scale like pattern dancing across their skin. Most times it was easy to cover up with clothing or makeup. I however didn't just look like my dad's side, thrown into the mix was the pale purple skin of my mother with neon purple eyes.

My eyes were the only thing I really disliked about myself. They were incredibly powerful and could infatuate anyone with just a glance. Which is why I hid them behind slightly dorky, tinted glasses. Just when I went out, that is. My parents were immune to them. My mom due to her being a succubus as well and my dad because he was part reptile. All reptilians weren't effected by a succubus's gaze.

The hair on my head took after my dad, being the color of Topaz which was also the color of my dragon form. To top off the look was reptilian claws that I painted black, and a set of fangs protruding from my mouth. Which were retractable.

"Sylvia darling, have you finished packing? The portal is waiting?" Dad called down and I finished brushing my hair, the points of my ears sticking out through the curls. After quickly putting the glasses over my eyes I marched downstairs. Last thing I wanted was to use my powers on anyone, as I didn't have much control over them.

"I'm good to go dad!" I exclaimed holding my suitcases standing in front of my proud parents. Mom had this enchanting smile on her face as she gently placed her hand on my cheek.

"My little ghoul is growing up," she gushed pulling me into a hug "We've ensured you a single room, that way you won't accidentally look at someone after you wake up and infatuate them," she added handing me a chocolate chip and cricket cookie for the trip.

"Or get startled and breathe fire burning the place down," Dad joked earning a small giggle from me.

"That was one time! Why can't you let it go?" I state knowing that would be his joke until the end of time.

"Well go on my little hatchling, go broaden your horizons!" Dad says gently nudging me towards the portal and I nodded nervously. I gave him a goodbye hug as well before stepping through.

This was it, time to get settled at my new school.

It was just how my parents described it, this living thing was my home for the year. Even if it was about three weeks until the start of term, I wanted to have time to get settled in before other monsters arrived. This would be the first time I'd be around people like me, although I'm sure I'll be an outcast here. Hybrids were extremely rare, and I'm most likely the only one.

A giant eye on top of the school watched me as I walked towards the door. Standing atop the steps was headmistress Bloodgood who smiled upon seeing me.

"Oh welcome Sylvia, it's a pleasure to finally have you attend Monster high. Your parents were exceptional students in their time here. As you know school is weeks away but there are a few other students here already. Hopefully you'll be able to meet them," she greeted with a contagious but also intimidating smile.

"It's a pleasure to finally be around other monsters, hopefully I'll find a place here," I replied returning the smile and she lead me to my dorm room. It wasn't too far from the main entrance so I wouldn't get lost.

Inside was decorated to my liking, it sort of looked like a mushroom forest. There were glowing mushrooms in a variety of colors, along with potted herbs and bioluminescent vines. Which draped over the top of my bed like a canopy.

There was also this window seat book nook decked out in comfy pillows and all my favorite books lining the shelves around it. Lastly on the other side was a skylight with the sun beating down, a good place for my dragon side to bask. Seeing everything made me extremely giddy inside.

~~~
Once everything was unpacked and in a place that was easy to find, it was time to explore this place. See where everything is so I didn't get lost on my first day of classes.

Making sure my glasses were on securely, I ventured out into the halls of the school. Taking in all of the paintings and details as I went along. Memorising everything as I went. Time seemed to pass in a blur as my feet eventually lead me outside to the little cafe on campus. Remembering the cookie in my jacket pocket, I ordered a creepaccino then sat at one of the tables to enjoy my snack.

As the sun beamed down it caused me to hum soaking in the rays of heat as my scales began to glisten in the light. In this form there were only a few patches of them and the only visible ones were on my hands, arms and neck.

"I haven't seen you around before, first year at monster high?" A calming male voice says causing me to look up. Standing before me was a boy around my age with stunning neon green eyes and glasses sort of like mine. A fringe of green hair poked out from beneath his beanie, and my eyes took in the patches of scales on his neck.

"Yeah, I'm sure you'd remember seeing a walking glow stick," I joked offering a smile to him, which he returned. It had to be the most welcoming thing I've seen.

"Oh yeah totally as well as a beautiful face such as yours," he exclaimed as a snake crept out from under his beanie and bit the side of his face. He brushed it off like it was normal "Really Moe, again?" He spoke to it, and the snake hissed before returning to the darkness of the hat. A Gorgon! Interesting.

"Flattery, what a great first impression. I'm Sylvia. Half dragon shifter half succubus, hence the glasses. Dangerous eyes are a deal breaker when it comes to befriending people," I introduced myself, hoping my face wasn't as flustered as it felt. Sometimes it was hard to tell due to my skin being purple but in certain lights it was easy to see.

"Yeah I'm with you on that one. I've just also got deadly hair. I'm Deuce, it's nice to meet a hybrid. Not many of those here, if any," he replied holding out his hand which I shook. My inner dragon tried coming out at the warmness of his hand, but I pushed it back. Last thing I needed was to go full dragon, and although I'm not fully grown yet, my dragon was still massive.

"It's nice to meet a Gorgon. I've never really been around monsters other than my family," I say pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose as they began to slide down. Even though his glasses would prevent my powers from working, and the fact that he was also reptilian. I didn't want to chance it.

"Well I guess I'll probably be seeing you around these next three weeks. Again it was nice to see you, have a good evening Sylvie," he states before walking towards the school.

My heart fluttered slightly at the nickname. Of course my family called me that, but to have someone else call me that, and a cute boy at that. It made me fill with butterflies.

Did I just make a new friend?