Chapter 3

A week had passed since the great paint war, and from that moment on Deuce and I were practically inseparable. We'd spend everyday together, just hanging out and cracking mostly terrible jokes. The sound of a faint knock garnered my attention and I left the cosiness of the window seat. Looking through the peep hole, I smiled before opening the door.

"How'd you score a single room?" He asked taking in the vast space behind me, and I moved aside to let him in.

"Parents set it up, they are highly respected alumni," I admit closing the door coming to stand beside him as he ran a finger along a glowshroom.

"Bloodgood might ask you to make a speech at the facility dinner in three weeks. She picks a student representative," he said before sitting under the sky light where a strong ray of sun was seeping through. His body physically relaxed at the feeling of nice heat.

"Sounds sort of boring," I state earning a laugh from him. Moe popped into view greeting me with his usual hiss. "Yes I see you Moe, hello," I giggled shaking my head.

"They totally are, I always volunteer to work at them," he admitted patting the empty spot next to him on the rock. And I made myself comfortable next to him. "Hey no glasses today," he noticed the lack of protective eyewear, staring into my bright eyes. In normal light they are just extremely bright, however in the dark they glowed.

"Yeah I only put them on to leave the room, but when I gain control over my powers I won't have to wear them," I explained reaching up to take the glasses off his face. He gently grabbed my hand, stopping me. "We're immune to each others powers, it's alright. Trust me," I reassured and he let go. Taking the glasses off himself.

He had his eyes closed, not really sure if he should open them or not. After a few seconds they opened and he looked right in my eyes. Sighing when I remained as flesh and bone.

"You should be dead right now, how is this possible?" He states a look of confusion on his face, but to me he looked adorable.

"And you should be madly enamored by me. Monster powers are confusing, anything that's a reptile isn't affected by my succubus powers, however if I switched forms then I'd be stone," I answered his question, during this Moe had been adventurous and weaved into the lock of hair draped over my shoulder. I wasn't sure if he was looking for a snack or a vein to bite. Not that it would harm me.

"Moe stop trying to eat Sylvie!" Deuce scolded the rebellious snake who pulled back, biting his master's face. Angry at being caught misbehaving.

"Here Moe," I giggled getting up and opening the fridge, pulling out a unthawed pinky mouse. Making my way back over I held it out and the snake struck it. Pulling it from my hand with a satisfied hiss. "You better appreciate it, that was my last one,"

"I knew you had a soft spot for him," Deuce chuckled as I rejoined him on the rock. "Hey since this is a safe zone, can I see your dragon form?" He asked sticking his lip out like a child did when they really wanted something.

"It's massive, there's no room in here," I state but opted to at least show off my wings. Since in this form they weren't as long. I stood in front of him, making sure nothing would get knocked over.

With a deep breath I imagined my wings and they strouted out of my back. I was thankful I decided to wear a shirt that had the holes cut in the back. Seeing as it would've been a pain to have to mend it. My eyes changed into dragon eyes and everything became more enhanced.

Deuce stood up in awe placing his glasses back on, because in this form he could turn me to stone. Which would suck as I liked being alive and not inanimate. He made a few steps towards me, gently running his hand along the left wing. Just like on that first day when he shook my hand, my dragon tried to emerge fully. But I willed it to stay below the surface.

"Can you fly in this form?" He asked as I still looked the same, just had wings now and different eyes.

"Yeah it's alot easier than going full dragon. Less things destroyed this way," I informed gently peeling a loose scale off my shoulder. The once yellow scale was now transparent, looking like normal dead scales. However the fresh ones underneath were vibrant.

"That must be an amazing feeling," he says and I put my wings away, eyes shifting back to normal.

"It is, I'll have to take you on a flight," I offered sitting down in the window, gazing out at the lake which shimmered in the afternoon sun. There was a peaceful silence that fell upon us, it was rather comforting.

I closed my eyes, truely enjoying the calm presence he always carried with him. The whole time this was happening I felt him looking at me, causing me to peek an eye open. "You're staring," I pointed out turning my head to fully look at him, as he was now sat beside me on the bench.

"Is it a crime to gaze upon beautiful ghouls?" He asked raising a brow, and my heart fluttered the second the words left his lips. Cheeks becoming hot.

"Not technically, but in some cases it can be seen as creepy," I joked the corner of my mouth turning up, gaining a chuckle from him.

"Well are you creeped out?" He questioned gently taking my hand that rested on the wooden sill.

"No," I replied using my free hand to push the piece of his green hair out of his face "I know you're harmless snake boy," my gesture caused him to smile. It truely was very memorising.

For awhile we just stared into each other's eyes, not saying anything. That was until my phone went off, causing us to look away. Pulling the device from my pocket, I opened it to reveal my dad's face smiling back at me. Quickly pushing answer, holding the phone out to make sure my face was in frame. Deuce's shoulder could be seen slightly, as well as the view of outside which was behind us.

"Oh my little hatchling you look radiant in this light," he greeted with a big smile. Deuce tried holding in his laugh at the nickname.

"Hey Dad good to see you too, how long are you gonna keep calling me that, it's been 17 years," I joked smacking Deuce as he snickered, trying to focus his breathing. I smacked him again "It's not that funny," which dad obviously noticed.

"You'll always be my little hatchling," he admitted with a bright smile "Now who's you're friend. Sybil darling our little ghoul has made a friend," and just like that mom also popped into the frame.

"Wait really, oh darling that's amazing we're so proud. Wait where are your glasses?" Of course she would notice that over the fact Moe was now slithering on my head.

"Guys relax, I can't enchant him. It's fine," I answered her question, not missing the expression that now rested on dad's face at the mention of my friend being a boy. I sighed before scooting closer to Deuce who took the phone, holding it out so both of us were in view.

"Oh look Drayden, she's befriended a handsome Gorgon boy," Mom gushed holding a hand over her heart.

"You guys are impossible honestly. Anyway, this is Deuce. He was the first person, well only person really, to introduce himself and befriend me. He's also the only one beside the headmistress that doesn't see me as a freak," I replied giggling at Mom who was making funny faces to try getting Dad to blink.

"It's nice to meet you, Sylvie has told me nothing but great things about you. I'm going to head out, my mom will probably be calling soon. See you later Sylvia," he placed the phone in my hand getting up, before he left the room he winked then disappeared out the door, a big smile on his face.

"Been friends for only a week and he's already given you a nickname. Oh he definitely likes you," Mom cooed wrapping her arm around dad as he tried processing what was happening.

I told them not to read into things, especially after me only being around him a week. Anyway, we talked until night fell. Catching up on things going on, and they said that they'd be at the school in three weeks to attend that facility dinner Deuce had mentioned. I'm so glad I didn't have to wait for the holidays to see them again. It may have only been a week, but I did miss them dearly.

After bidding them goodnight as well as goodbye, it only seemed fitting to retire for the night. Which is exactly what I did. Thankful for all the new memories I was making.....