Chapter 9

The school grounds were quite spooky at night and very ominous. Since there wasn't much heat at night I was still in Deuce's hoodie and some insulated leggings. I preferred the heat, so keeping warm was good. The three of us met at the stairs and ventured out into the graveyard, I was using my phone's flashlight in order for us to see better. Well at least Frankie, since I could see in the dark and Clawdeen probably could as well.

"Sylvia are you alright? You look pale," Clawdeen asked as we stood before the gates to the graveyard, which were locked up tight.

"My dragon doesn't do well with the cold," I replied trying not to shiver as I stood there but my attempts weren't working.

"Maybe you should go back inside, and we'll let you know what we find," Frankie says taking in my almost sickly appearance. I'm not sure what was going on with me, but the more I stood there the worse I felt. It was like I was practically turning into ice as I stood at the gates to the cemetery.

"Oh but I don't want to miss this moment," I tried protesting but they shook their heads, looking worried for my well being.

"We'll be fine, your health should come first right now. We will fill you in on everything," Clawdeen reassured and I began staggering back into the school.

It took longer than it had when I first came out, and I didn't know if I could make it back to my room, so I went to the closest room to the main hall. My hand wrapped gently on the hard wood of the door and not long after Heath answered it.

"Sylvia are you alright? You're almost white, it's as if your scales are dying," he exclaimed in a worried tone and he took my arm, guiding me into the familiar room.

"I don't know what's wrong, I just thought it was because of the cold outside," I say as Deuce was coming out of the bathroom, he eyes finding me as I barely held my weight up. Leaning heavily on Heath for support.

"Babe what's going on?" He asks rushing over as Heath sat me on the edge of a bed. At this point I couldn't even speak I was cold and getting weaker by the second.

Deuce slipped his hand into my pocket, pulling out my phone and I assumed began calling my mom or dad. They'd definitely know what was wrong with me. My senses were cutting in and out as I caught snippets of what Heath and Deuce were explaining to them and soon my dads face was staring back at me.

The boys sat on either side of me, keeping me upright and Heath held the phone out in front of us all. I blinked trying to focus and my hearing began returning.

"You're going to be fine my little hatchling. This is completely normal," dad says with a pained expression, hating to see me like this when I'm normally so bright and full of life.

"What's wrong with me dad?" I asked taking a deep breath, and I was starting to feel better slightly. Just enough to stay focused.

"Your dragon is sick from straying too far from your eternal flame," he explains and I scrunched my brows not understanding what he meant. I've never heard of dragons having an eternal flame.

"What's an external flame?" Heath asked intrigued by the conversation. Deuce too was curious but he was worrying more about me as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders, rubbing my arm in comfort. I'm not sure how to explain it but I felt better by his touch.

"Not a what little demon, but a who. In this case it's young Deuce. A dragons eternal flame is, in of a sense, their soulmate or other half. The dragon shifters essence isn't complete until they meet their flame, so before being apart from them didn't have an affect on her, but now that she's found her flame the two must be close to one another or the dragon will get sick," he explained and I wondered why I'd never heard about this before.

"So their souls are connected on some kind of spiritual level?" Heath hypothesized but as more of a question, and I could see that his hair was now ignited due to his curiosity, only I don't think he realised it.

"When I first got here my dragon, she tried coming forth when Deuce first shook my hand, and a few times after that. But hasn't since," I say feeling like myself again with my head resting gently on my boyfriend's shoulder. Feeling at peace by his presence.

"She knew that he was your flame, and since you're getting sick when apart for too long. You've sealed your souls with a kiss," Dad replied and I felt my cheeks get hot. And Deuce let out a nervous laugh from beside me. Poor Heath was eating all this up like it was reality tv, I'm sure he wished he had popcorn to munch on while experiencing all of this.

"Dad I'm not having that discussion with you, like ever," I state shaking my head and giggled at the face he was making. It was pretty well the same one he made when mom was getting him going our last phone call. Where they first met Deuce.

"If our souls are interwoven now then won't Sylvie always be sick when winter and summer break comes? Will she die if we're apart too long?" Deuce spoke up after taking everything in, and they were important questions.

"No it won't kill her. She'll be sick for a few days afterwards and very weak for the first few times apart, however by then the dragon will realize that it's alright to be apart, and begins to understand that the separation isn't permanent. We've also got a few remedies here that will help her feel better during those times," dad informed and I let out a sigh. Relieved that I didn't have to always suffer through this and eventually it will fade away.

"I feel like I've stumbled into some Y2K teen drama!" Heath exclaimed looking between us in excitement. While the two of us seemed baffled and slightly bashful from the whole ordeal, he looked like he was having a great time.

"Yeah along with breaking out into random songs during classes like it's some sort of musical," I joked still slightly confused by the whole thing. But I'm sure I'll adapt to it, and maybe improve my horrendous dancing.

"If that's all you need sweet hatchling then I'll let you all get to bed. Your mother and I can't wait to see you at the end of the week for the dinner. Fiery dreams everyone," dad bid us goodnight and the phone screen went black.

"This school year just gets more interesting by the day," Heath states with a smirk, handing my phone back to me.

Since it was too late for me to sneak back to my room, I just stayed in theirs. Thankfully it was just them, and no other roommate. Otherwise there would be even more explaining to do. Plus it's not like it's the first time I stayed the night in Deuce's room. So I already had pj pants in his dresser and threw on one of his oversized shirts.

Upon lying down he wrapped his arm around me as we laid on our sides. And as I was drifting off into the peaceful realm of sleep, I felt his snakes nestle into my hair. The soft hissing lulled me off deeper into the slumber.....