Chapter 9 - Red Paint

Couple birthdays passed with Elsa having Jack as her late Autumn and Winter visitor. She was about to spend her 14th birthday with him this year.  He didn't tell her much about himself, like his family name even though they had known each other for years. But he told her stories of his travels to Scotland and even to France. When he was in the attic she let him be there at peace like he asked and he would come out in the night to chat with her before going out for a while.

When he wasn't around her focus was on getting healthy and just in the year she would turn thirteen, the doctor said that her recovery was miraculous. She got to spend more time around the house and garden and was even allowed to go to town with her parents.

This new freedom made her happy and she spent the summer by making a surprise in Jack's space.

She had brought curtains that she hung around the bed which she had made on the floor from mattresses and colorful pillows. It was time to update Jack's little nook to be a little less dim and more joyful like he was. She even painted the walls with views from outside and summer. There was a green meadow and sunny clear sky.

When autumn finally came, the attic room was ready. For couple weeks she had been waiting and waiting impatiently until one night she heard a knock behind her window.

She rushed up from bed and straight to the window. She was greeted by Jack's smiling face, he looked the same as ever with his dashing looks - his messily styled  snowy white hair, sparkling skye blue eyes and pale skin and the strong chin of his. She felt a bit odd for a moment before giggling and grabbing him from the collar.

"Come! I want you to see what I did for you!" She cheered and pulled her confused friend inside.

She had grown bigger again and now she had reached his chest height.

"What –" he started but was nudged towards the secret attic entrance. He decided to follow her upstairs and let her take the lead.

"Could you bend down a bit? I wish to cover your eyes but you are still a bit too tall." Elsa asked kindly.

Jack chuckled and bent his knees as she stepped behind him. He flinched when her warm, thin fingers covered his eyes from the back. 

"Now walk forward and no peeking!" Elsa cheered quietly.

"Alright… now you have my utmost interest," Jack laughed and took steps forward until she suddenly hugged from his waist.

"Surprise!" She said happily and waited for his reaction.

The attic got some light from her bedroom through the hatch. Still he could see it clearly because of his peculiar eyes.

"Wait, I will bring a candle" Elsa said and rushed downstairs.

Jack went inside the colorful little nook with curtains and pillows. The style felt foreign but really fun. Then he saw the wall paintings of outdoors and the sky with the sun.

"Here! I will leave it on the table!" Elsa said and left the candle outside the bed fortress.

She crawled inside and next to him. The crowded space made him smell her better and hear the sound of her heart and the blood in her veins. He was thankful that he ate already before coming here.

"Here," Elsa smiled and gave him a brush and placed a color palette between them.

"Umm…what should I do with this,"Jack wondered.

"Well you know how I have become better in terms of health and that's thanks to you. You could paint me on the meadow while I paint you," Elsa suggested and felt blood rushing on her cheeks, making them rosy in color.