Chapter 12 - The One Behind the Mask

Elsa was about to turn 18 this year and have her coming of age ceremony and ball. Jack had never returned since leaving that one Spring night. Two years had passed.

Still he kept writing to her, the letters were exchanged with the help of wind. That's how she knew that this year he would finally be back. 

While he was gone Elsa had organized her information about vampires into a tiny notebook. There were things about Jack's past and how he was left to die after a vampire attack and how North had come to change him.

She knew what would hurt their kind and what would help them. Human blood helped them to regenerate faster but they managed with animal blood too. Jack was always rather quiet about the venom which was in his teeth, he simply said that he would never bite her.

Jack seemed to be on the move a lot. He sometimes sent her some tea leaves or chocolate with the letter. His powers reached far. Every family member of Le Guardian had a special power which Jack had mentioned. He could use wind with his will and emotions. However he rarely spoke of his family or what powers they possessed.

She had organized information of the origin vampire who made a pact with dark magic after the loss of his daughter. It seemed like Pitch hated Manfred Le Guardian who was the fiance of the daughter so he sought the worst revenge and made both Manfred and him walk on earth forever. Pitch was the leader of Le Guardian's guard once before his heart was corrupted.

The pact made Pitch a blood thirsty being that kept spreading fear everywhere and he loved killing young women and turning young men into mindless beasts. Manny formed a family of those who were hurt by Pitch to stop him but that being was always on the run and building an army.

Elsa stopped writing for a moment when she heard a tap on the window. It was already late and she rushed to open the window and a letter was flown into her hands. She smiled as she saw her name written in cursive handwriting and a stamp with G.

She folded the letter open and sat down to read.

"Hello, my dear Little Lady.

I am glad that your studies are going well and things are safe in your Dukedom. Currently I am staying in a small village where there has been an increased number of deaths. Hopefully we will find that thing here.

In the previous letter you asked if I would be there for your birthday this year since I missed a few. And for some reason I found an open invite to a Masquerade Ball.

This year I promise to come but not until your birthday because we need to follow each lead we can. One day I hope that we can get rid of that Evil and everyone can enjoy the warmth of the sun again.

Forgive me, I got lost for a moment. What I was supposed to say was that please, don't try to write for a while because I will be occupied and need my strength fully.

On your birthday Masquerade a man wearing a black suit, blue tie and a black mask with frost patterns will ask you for your first dance as a proper lady. I hope you would give me the honor because I miss our late chats.

Your loyal friend,

J."

Elsa let out a small excited squeal and hugged the letter. For some time she had known that her feelings had changed towards him and after reading a 'few' romance novels she had these strange thoughts. Whenever she thought about him, her head was filled with his scent, lovely eyes and lips. She was interested in him? Like the novel heroine's were of their male leads. The problem was that he wasn't seeing her as more than a friend and a child.

Still she was really happy that he said yes. She had requested a Masquerade precisely of this reason so he could come and keep his identity a secret. It should be fine.