Thirteen

The room fell into silence after Oscar's confession. The weight of his words hung in the air, a heavy revelation that neither of them had expected. Maeve, shocked by his admission, turned to look at him with wide eyes. She couldn't quite grasp the reality of what he had just said.

Oscar, his heart pounding in his chest, continued to speak, his voice filled with urgency and sincerity. "I've loved you for a long time, Maeve. Not out of pity, not because I feel sorry for you, but because I genuinely love you. I love everything about you, and I never want to stop loving you."

Maeve's emotions were a whirlwind of disbelief and vulnerability. She had been through so much, and the thought of someone genuinely caring for her felt almost too good to be true. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she gazed at Oscar, searching for any hint of insincerity.

"I don't want you to love me out of guilt," Maeve whispered, her voice quivering. "I've been hurt so many times, and I don't want to be someone's consolation prize."

Oscar, his voice filled with desperation, continued to speak. "You are not a consolation prize and this is not guilt , infact I have been trying to hide this all along but now I don't want you to think I'll just abandon you for someone else, Maeve. My feelings for you are real, strong, and enduring. I want you to know that."

Maeve's heart ached as she listened to him. But the walls she had built over the years were not easy to dismantle, and a part of her still doubted the reality of what was happening. The past had left scars, and Maeve was afraid to trust her emotions.

"Oscar, you can't just say something like that, turn my world upside down, and expect everything to change overnight," she said, her voice trembling. "This is so much to take in. I've been hurt so many times, and I'm scared, Oscar."

Oscar reached out to gently cup her face, his thumb brushing away a tear that had escaped her eye. "I understand, Maeve. I'm not asking for an immediate answer. I don't even expect anything from you. But I want you to know how I feel. I don't want you to feel unlovable or undervalued because of the past. I'm here for you, no matter what."

Maeve's heart was heavy with doubt as they sat in her room, the air charged with unspoken emotions. She couldn't fathom why someone like Oscar, who had so much going for him, would want to be with her. "But why me? I'm a mess, Oscar. You could be in love with anyone, not me. Someone who's been stupidly in love with a guy who just toyed with my emotions," she said, her voice filled with insecurity.

Oscar's eyes softened as he reached out  "I don't know, Maeve, and I don't care. I expect nothing from you," he replied, his voice unwavering.

Maeve's voice quivered as she tried to make him understand her perspective. "But you deserve something so much more, Oscar. So much more than being my second chance," she said, tears forming in her eyes.

Oscar, however, was resolute in his stance. He moved his thumbs to wipe away her tears. "You don't get to choose what I deserve, Maeve. And I'm not your second chance. You don't get to choose a one-sided love and portray it as your love story. A girl like you deserves to be loved and cherished. I'm not asking you to consider me, but if you do, I'll show you what being loved means. And I will be ready to be anything you want me to be."

Maeve was lost for words, torn between her insecurities and the overwhelming sincerity in Oscar's eyes. She started to speak, but he gently placed a finger over her lips. "Sleep, Maeve," he said softly, "don't hurt your pretty head." With that, he got up and walked out of the room, leaving Maeve to contemplate the unexpected turn her life had taken. The questions about her self-worth and the complexity of her feelings were a lot to bear, and she needed time to sort through it all.