Thirty: Obsession

FOUR YEARS BACK...

ASAEL
(Age Thirty-one)

"...we already searched through that location. There was no sign of him. Arien almost lost control..."

Elmer's voice faded away and was replaced by Verena's and found her quite amusing.

A single meeting is not enough to know someone but I found her antics amusing, her feistiness adorable.

"Asael? You are not listening to me."

Elmer's voice cut through the haze making me blink and realise that I was busy spinning a pen on my finger, my eyes fixed on it while I was lost.

Shit. This has never happened before.

I glanced at him, clearing my throat. "Yes?"

He pursed his lips. "I am not repeating myself now, I have been speaking for the past five minutes. Did you listen to a word I said?"

"I was...thinking," I replied sheepishly.

"Sure." He gathered his stuff and turned around to leave.

"Elmer?" I called out without thinking twice.

He flung a look at me over his shoulder. "Yes?"

I shouldn't be doing this. Why am I even interested in it, I had to curb my curiosity. "I need you to find out about someone for me. It's Richard Satori's daughter. Verena."

He raised a brow at me but thankfully didn't question why. "What do you want me to find out exactly?"

"Whatever you can find."

He nodded. "I'll see."

A day later Elmer arrived in my office for a discussion relating to our search for a specific someone.

"Did you find anything?" I asked.

"We have been searching for years now, there is no sign of Horace, it's as if he disappeared."

I was annoyed but I toned it down before I could lash at him. "I meant about Verena. Did you find anything?"

He looked surprised. "Oh. She has left by the way."

My jaw clenched. "Left where?"

"For her studies...? She got admitted to the Aurelius University located in New York. She left for it last week itself."

My heart clenched painfully at that information. She was oceans apart now. But why the fuck did I care?

"If you don't mind me asking, why the sudden interest in her?"

Removing my spectacles, I scrubbed a hand over my face. "I am wondering the same thing."

She has occupied each and every corner of my mind. I fucking can't stop thinking about her, it's frustrating.

"Perhaps, you are in love." He sounded amused, biting back a smile.

I shot him a glare. "Shut up and get out of here."

"Yes, sir." He spoke, mirth dancing in his eyes.

.
.
.

I was restless, pacing back and forth in my mansion.