•Eleven•

•Ricky's Secret•

Naomi hesitated for a moment, then finally gained the courage to enter her parents' room. She found her mother, Michelle, sitting by the window, sewing. Eric was just lying in bed, reading his bible.

Naomi began, "Hey, Mom, Dad, can I ask you something?"

Michelle continued sewing and didn't respond.

Eric replied, "Sure, Naomi. What's on your mind?"

Naomi asked, "I wanted to know if I could go visit Ricky and his mom later today. They invited me over."

Michelle remained silent, her eyes focused on her sewing project.

Eric asked, "Have you finished your chores?"

Naomi smiled, "Yes, Dad, everything's done."

Eric exchanged a glance with Michelle but she remained quiet.

Eric finally agreed, "Okay, you can go. But be back by dinner."

Naomi's face brightened, "Thanks, Dad!"

She left her parents' room, and the door closed behind her. Eric sighed and looked over at Michelle.

Michelle shook her head, "Don't look at me!"

Eric asked, "So you were just going to let me do all the talking."

Michelle replied, "Yeah because you already let her get away with too much! I sat here purposefully not saying anything just to see what you would say. And there you go again being soft."

Eric said, "Michelle, calm down. It's not late at night, she said she's going to visit Ricky and his mother. We haven't seen her since Ricky left. It's not like she's going to go visit Ricky alone."

Michelle threw up her hands and said, "I'm done talking at this point. You're her dad, and whatever danger she gets into, it's going to be on you to face the consequences."

Eric got angry and said, "Michelle, put the needle in your mouth, hush up, and keep sewing. Please don't ruin the mood for today because between you and the way you acted last night."

"What do you mean the way I acted last night!?" Michelle asked.

Eric explained, "I tried to do one thing good for our marriage, and you didn't even appreciate it. No, you wanted to stop and pay attention to Naomi. We came home, and she was in her bed, chilling!"

Michelle argued, "Yeah, with her window unlocked, who knows what went down last night while we weren't here."

Eric asked, "You think our daughter would stoop that low while she's babysitting her little sister?"

Michelle shrugged, "You stooped that low when I was here by myself taking care of her while you were out there feeding your ego. In which, by the way, isn't so big."

Eric laughed and said, "Okay, I see what you're trying to do, Michelle. You want to bring me down right now because you're upset, but I'm not going to give you the reaction you want out of me."

"Good, then put your face back in your Bible and hush up," Michelle snapped.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Naomi arrived at Ricky's house and knocked on the door. Ricky answered, and they exchanged smiles.

They shared a hug and Ricky said, "Hey, Naomi! It's been a while. Mom's excited to see you."

Naomi smiled, with glee, "I've missed her too!!"