•Nineteen•

•It's hard to say goodbye

Naomi, Leroy, and Ricky rushed to the emergency room to check up on Ms Riley. The hospital room felt heavy with the weight of sadness and grief. Ricky rushed to his mother's bedside, his eyes reflecting pain and love. Leroy and Naomi, standing close, exchanged concerned glances as Ms. Riley weakly smiled at their arrival.

Between delayed breaths, Ms. Riley managed to speak, "I'm so happy to see all of you here!"

Ricky responded, "Mama we came as fast as we could. How are you feeling?"

Tears started to stream down Riley's face and she coughed before she could answer, "I'm blessed! So blessed to see all of you before I go."

Ricky couldn't hold back tears anymore and broke down crying. Ricky held his mother's hand and Naomi asked, concerned, "Are you sure there's nothing left that can be done, Ms Riley?"

Riley whispered with a serene smile, "While there's no cure for cancer, my soul has found its healing. As I depart, I trust the heavens above will provide the eternal remedy I've always deserved."

Naomi hugged Leroy close and Leroy was there to comfort her. It was hard for everyone to see Riley lying on her deathbed, looking fragile and weak. Her hair, once lively, had thinned, and her skin seemed almost see-through under the hospital lights. The hospital gown hung loosely on her, showing how much she had changed. The room was quiet, except for the soft sounds of the machines which kept track of her fading strength.

Riley asked, "Naomi is this the boy you were bragging to me about?"

Naomi, with a tender smile, nodded, "Yes, Ms. Riley. This is Leroy, the amazing guy I couldn't stop bragging about."

Riley's eyes lit up despite her weakened state, "Well, Leroy, it's a pleasure to finally meet the man who's captured Naomi's heart. Take good care of her, you hear?"

Leroy, with genuine warmth, responded, "Absolutely, Ms. Riley. Naomi means the world to me."

Riley looked at Ricky and said, "Ricky, my loving son, find your way in life. Be successful, and always keep your faith in God. He'll guide you, even when I can't."

Ricky cried, "I will, Mom. I promise."

Ms. Riley turned her gaze to Leroy and Naomi, her eyes filled with remembrance, "You two remind me so much of the love I shared with Ricky's father. Keep your relationship godly and wholesome. Don't let any enemies come between you. Guard your love fiercely."

Naomi replied, sadly, "But what am I supposed to do about my parents? Mama just kicked me out and I have nowhere else to go but with him. What am I supposed to do??"

Riley took a deep breath and replied, "Time can mend wounds, your parents will get over it. y. Lean on each other for strength. Leroy, be the rock she needs, and Naomi, trust that love has a way of healing. If his mother is willing, stay with him for a couple of days until everything cools down."

She then shifted her focus to Naomi, "Naomi, cherish Leroy. He's a good man I can tell. Lean on your faith and each other in times of trouble."

Naomi nodded while holding Leroy's hand a little tighter.

Ms. Riley's voice softened, "And Leroy, take care of this wonderful young lady. Love her with everything you have."

They all joined hands, forming a circle around the bed, as Ricky's mother continued, "Before I go, tell Michelle, that I forgive her for everything. She's still my best friend in my heart. I will always love her, even beyond this life."

Let's pray Ricky suggested. They all gathered hands and Ricky prayed aloud, "Heavenly Father God, I don't know if you can hear me. I don't even know if you want to talk to me but we gather here with heavy hearts, seeking your comfort and grace. Give my mom your love as she faces this challenging time. Give her peace and strength. Lord, be with Naomi and Leroy as they deal with difficulties in their lives. Guide them in their relationship, and may your wisdom guide their path. We also lift Naomi's family, praying for understanding and healing. In this sad time, may your presence bring comfort to us all. We give our concerns to you, knowing that your love is above all. In your holy name, we pray. Amen."

When they opened their eyes When they looked, the screen was flat and not beeping anymore. Panic set in, and they called for the doctor but it was too late. Tears rolled down their faces as they held onto each other, finding comfort in the sadness they all felt.

The end of this chapter