•Twenty one•

•Riley's Funeral•

At the sad funeral, family and friends said their last goodbye to Riley. Tears rolled down their cheeks as they buried her next to her husband. Leroy, Naomi, Ms. London, and Ricky stood together, showing their sadness on their faces.

After the funeral, as people lingered near the gravesite, Keenly ran up to Naomi and hugged her, "Naomi, I've missed you so much," she whispered.

Naomi embraced the hug and replied, "I've missed you too, Keenly."

However, the brief moment of connection was interrupted as Michelle stormed over, snatching Keenly away. "Don't talk to this disobedient child!" Michelle snapped, her tone harsh.

Naomi and Michelle were on the verge of a big argument. They both felt upset, and it didn't take much time for their argument to explode.

Naomi, spoke up first, "Mama can't we just have a moment of peace? It's a funeral, and Keenly and I needed a moment to connect. Why must everything be a fight!?"

Michelle, still holding onto the anger that had fueled their recent arguments, shot back, "A MOMENT OF PEACE!? You're the one who's been causing chaos in our family. Sneaking around, disrespecting us, and now talking with your sister like it's all fine!"

Naomi argued, "I'm not the one disrespecting here! You invaded my privacy, read my journal, and kicked me out of the house!! Now I'm not even allowed to talk to my sister!?"

Keenly grabbed her mom's hand and said, "Mama stop!"

Michelle snatched away from Keenly, then replied, "Privacy?!? You lost the privilege of privacy when you started acting out with that hoodlum! And being kicked out is a consequence of your actions. Don't play the victim."

Naomi, fired back, "A CONSEQUENCE!? You don't even know the whole story, Mama. You're so busy being angry that you're not even trying to understand. You know, sometimes I think you're jealous of the fact that I have a better relationship than you and Dad ever had."

Michelle, growing more agitated, exclaimed, "JEALOUS!? Do you think I'm jealous of a high-school relationship that won't last past Graduation?? You can't possibly be serious!"

Naomi grew anger in her eyes, and said, "Oh we'll see about that when we get married!"

Michelle, defensive, shot back, "A marriage that's going to happily come crumbling down as soon as it starts. You're so delusion and naive it's ridiculous!"

Naomi, couldn't hold it back any longer, and she yelled, "OH YOU ARE SUCH A HATEFUL, BITTER, WOMAN AND I HATE YOU!!"

Michelle yelled back, "THAT MAKES US EVEN!!"

The crowd gasped and Leroy pulled Naomi away as Naomi was stunned by her mother's words. Ricky came in between Ricky couldn't stand by any longer. He stepped forward, placing himself between the two women, and he addressed Michelle, "Enough! This ain't the time or the place, especially at your best friend's funeral. If you're going to act this way, then GET OUT!"

Ricky spoke firmly, interrupting their argument. Eric, who was close by, quickly came over and took Michelle away from the fight. He said sorry to the people nearby and led Michelle away quickly.

Once they were at a distance, Ricky looked back at Naomi, concern in his face. "I'm sorry for this, Naomi. Are you okay?"

Naomi, still emotionally stunned, nodded silently. Ricky sighed, shared a look of understanding with Naomi, and then walked away. Leroy told Naomi "Let me have a word with you right quick!"