Prologue

(Viking times)(recommended music 0:00 to 3:56)

"WE'RE NEARLY THERE", Fishlegs Ingerman yelled, the wind pulling at the map in his hands. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, the great Chieftain of New Berk, looked ahead at the large icy landscape before him from New Berk's flagship The Vast, the ice and snow barely visible to him below the violent storm that raged overhead. He could just barely see the eye of the storm and the monster within it, its dark silhouette standing out against the flashes of yellow lightning that raged overhead, as if the god Thor had chosen to bestow this evil creature with his powers! The vikings on board were eerily silent, occasionally coughing from the strange winds that seemed to be coming from the creature itself. If Hiccup focused, amidst the wind whistling and the rain striking the ship, he could hear strange high pitched noises coming from the icy mountain it was on. 

It had been 30 years since he had last seen Toothless or any other dragon that inhabited the Hidden World. He had attempted to visit a couple more times with Astrid and their children, but ever since their first visit he had seen absolutely no trace of any life above or below the great waterfall. And now as he stared up at the massive creature who currently threatened their world, driving fish away and creating such intense storms, he realized he might never see his old friend again. 

Of course he couldn't tell anyone else about this. The idea that only he could go see the dragons would not be accepted in a tribe of hardheaded vikings. But if the dragons needed his help he wouldn't have a choice. It was still possible against all odds that some new maniac or warlord had managed the climb down into the Hidden World to capture or kill the dragons. Or even worse, that this new creature had. 

There was nothing he could do about it now though. The dragons may have left, but it was still his duty to protect his tribe, his home and his friends. He unsheathed his sword from his dragon scale armor, which had been collecting dust since the dragons had left, and glared up at this new enemy as Berkians also in dragon scale armor on dozens of large ships scrambled to load catapults, cannons and javelin launchers scavenged from the ruins of the warlord's fleet just outside of New Berk. 

All of a sudden, everything went silent. He could still barely see the monster before him, but something was different. He could almost feel it focusing all of its attention on him. He could almost feel those terrible glowing yellow eyes staring directly at him, paralyzing him with fear, burning into his soul. He knew. Somehow he knew with absolute certainty that there was nothing they could do to defeat it. They weren't a threat, just a minor inconvenience and this monster was going to enjoy slaughtering them. It hissed, amused at Hiccup's efforts, the sound echoing in his mind. It was then when it decided to act. 

It took to the air in a few flaps of its giant wings and started flying towards them. He had heard rumors about the beast from traders who were fortunate to be alive a few weeks before the storms hit New Berk. According to them, this was a creature of myth known from far beyond the archipelago who was supposedly a god, visiting people once in a while to bring good fortune and prosperity to their villages. They called it "King Ghidorah, the one who is many". Staring into its eyes however, he knew it was much less benevolent than the myths suggested. A false king. As it got closer, Hiccup could clearly make out a split tail, no forelimbs and 3 heads, its scales as golden as any treasure in Valhalla. It let out a squealing roar unlike anything he had ever heard. 

Hiccup snapped out of his daze and turned to the fleet. "FIRE!"

Dozens of ships opened fire at the monster. Most of the catapults fell short of their target, but the cannons and javelins did manage to hit Ghidorah several times. However if they had any effect at all, it was too small for Hiccup to see. The vikings quickly started reloading their weapons as the monster flew just overhead and started turning for another pass, clearly much bigger than the rumors had led him to believe.