Chapter Two: Hiccup Lost

Adam walks back to the other researchers. Andrew and Will follow him, seeing a deathly pale man with brown hair and a beard lying on the table with a white lab sheet covering him. An EKG is hooked up beside him, beeping steadily. They watch in amazement as the color returns to his body. He inhales sharply, the air filling his lungs for what seemed to be the first time. The man takes a few deep breaths as he opens his eyes, scanning the room before spotting the six people watching. He instantly sits up, ripping off the heartbeat sensors on his chest and arms, nearly falling again as the blood rushes through his body.

The researchers continue writing on their notepads as the man watches with wide eyes, extremely alert. The male researcher tries to hand him a shirt and pants. The man's eyes snap to the approaching researcher before grabbing his arm and twisting it enough to hurt but not cause any serious damage. The researcher freezes, knowing the man could quite easily break his arm in this position if he struggles.

Still holding the researcher's arm in a strong grip, the man stares directly at Adam. He wiggles his mouth as he tries to regain enough feeling to be able to speak. "Hrrr aare ouu?", he asks. 

Fearful for his fellow researcher, Adam glances at the two others beside him before taking a step forwards. "Who am I?"

The man focuses, tightening his jaw and speaking slowly. "Hooo aare Yhoo?", he asks again.

"My name is Adam Moore. That's my wife Ellie Moore, my son Andrew and his friend Will, there's Juliette Galleon, and the man you're holding is Richard Kowalski-"

"Dad, why are you telling him who we are? Who is he?", Andrew asks.

The man's eyes flickered between them, still unsure if he should trust them or not. He looks back at Adam, seemingly deciding he's the leader of the group. "Hiccup Haddock".

Ellie nods. "Yep, that lines up with the records we found with you."

Hiccup looks at her, confused. "What records?"

Ellie looks up at him as Juliette continues writing. "Hiccup, there's no easy way to tell you this. You've been dead for over twelve centuries."

Hiccup's eyes go distant as he processes this. He lets go of Richard's arm, staring down at his hand as he slowly flexes his fingers. Ellie continues, "Try not to think too hard or overexert yourself. Your body's still adjusting to the procedure, but you should regain all of your strength and memories soon". 

Hiccup picks up the clothes Richard had dropped, putting them on quickly before he stops, looking around, listening, an almost fearful look in his eyes. He turns his head towards the pitch black corner of the room. Andrew and Will look as well, hearing a faint growling sound seeming to come from that direction. 

The lights begin to flicker on as a large shadow lunges at them. Hiccup jumps back, yelling, "GET DOWN!" and knocking over some equipment as he recoils from the sight of it. Through the initial terror, Andrew can make out the shape of a winged creature as black as the night sky trapped behind thick glass. It continues throwing itself at the walls of the small room, roaring as it scratches and bites at the walls and glass in a flurry of wings and claws. Hiccup quickly rips a metal cabinet door off of its hinges, holding it in front of him as a makeshift shield before realizing the creature isn't focusing on them. He stares at it, confused but still alert. "Why isn't it after us? What's it doing?"

Ellie walks towards the glass. "It must have just woken up. Don't worry. It's stuck behind bulletproof reflective glass. It can't see us. Do you recognize it?"

Hiccup stares at the creature. He slowly walks closer to the glass as he lowers his cabinet door, trying to remember what this thing was. Behind the glass, it was still staying low, growling as it stares up at the lights and the steel walls around it. Hiccup stares straight into its big green eyes as he approaches. The creature shakes its ear flaps, looking around at the glass as if sensing someone watching it. It tilts its head, sniffing the air as he slowly gets closer to the glass. Hiccup stops, narrowing his eyes as a look of pain forms across his face. "He... he killed my father".