Nut, the forever lonesome sky Goddess

This retold myth is based on the story of Nut, the Egyptian goddess of night and stars. It was the way the Egyptians explained how the year ended to have 365 days. The story was featured on the blog site of REUTS Publications.

Here's the link: http://blog.reuts.com/prw-runner-up-tour-nut-the-forever-lonesome-sky-goddess-by-alexandra-perchanidou/

----------------------------

The arches around her shone golden with each step she took towards the aisle. This was her happiest day, a day where all the gods and goddesses were not fighting, gossiping, plotting against each other. For once they would all gather and celebrate a day of happiness.

A day of a wedding.

Nut's blue hair was twisted up on an elegant knot, stones decorating the crown of her head, while the white fabric fell on waves from her chest to her feet, creating ripples of sparkling tiny diamonds. It was a gift from her parents Shu and Tefnut, who were standing beside Ra, close to the top of the aisle.

And to the right of Ra, at the base of the pearl made aisle, he was standing.

She could still the recall the nights when she was to stretch upon the sky, creating and holding the stars on her body, the tips of her toes and fingers touching the infinite skies of Earth. The humans had created temples, small castles on every region, despite the rough ruling of Ra. But thanks to him, the earth was fertile and people could celebrate the coming and going of the seasons.

It was one of those nights, when Nut would ascend from her tower at the top of the highest mountains, spreading her blue tinted wings from her arms, heading up to bring the night once again. As she flew away from the mountains over the plains of this single continent where the humans resided, she saw a man running into the night. Even from her height she could see the brown dark skin of his, the brown long hair and the eyes that glowed like amber.

His stride was strong, confident of his power but she focused on what he was leaving behind him. A trail of green light covered the ground and soon wheat appeared, growing healthy and strong. "Geb." She muttered softly, watching the god of earth blessing the human fields. She hadn't realized that her voice was carried with the winds until she saw the god in question stop running and titling his head up.

Their gazes locked, his amber eyes with her dark purple. Despite his speed, Geb wasn't tired and Nut hovered above him, forgetting for a moment her daily task. She could feel the pull of the sky, night needed to come and the stars in her mind begged to be released. "My lady." Geb's smooth voice echoed in the night and with a quick nod and a nervous smile, Nut flew upwards, letting her body grow bigger and bigger, until the night fell and the stars shone above a smiling Geb.

They spent months greeting each other, sometimes close to nighttime others at the gatherings of the gods, when the humans would present at the hallways of Ra's labyrinth castle and offer their sacrifices. Tefnut, Nut's mother, would smile at her daughter as she was stealing glances with Geb and her father Shu, god of air, who already knew from the winds what his daughter was doing, would beckon Nut towards Geb. They were a matching couple despite their opposites.

They were balance.

Nut stopped right in front of Geb and he pulled slowly the veil which covered her face. He smiled at her as he pulled her hands toward his and together they turned to Ra. A almost eight feet, the god of all gods was magnificent with his clothes pristine white and the symbols of his rule, the ankh and the scepter on his hands. His yellow eyes and dark green skin glowed as he leaned down and placed his signs of ruling upon the heads of Nut and Geb.