The Ultimate Crime

Chaya

"Everything's going to be okay sweetheart, we will get through this"

"Seb... how is this going to work?" 

I'm surprised he could even understand me through the onslaught of sobs tearing themselves out of my chest. 

"Chaya..." his words barely above a whisper

"Listen to me, we can get through anything as long as we are together"

It's true, we had made it through Sebastian getting tossed from one foster home to another. Some were a street away and sometimes they were over an hour away. Most of the families he was placed in were only in the foster system for the money that came in steadily to feed their drug addictions. 

We had survived the constant pressure put on our relationship and lives and still stayed together 

"Seb, I'm scared.."

"I know, I am too. But we will figure this out, one step at a time"

-------------------------

     It was hard to try to see reason behind betrayal. Even after the initial shock of my situation was settled into my bones, I couldn't find an ounce of compromise in my body. My brain was set on autopilot. One, pack all of mine and the girls' clothes. Two, get the hell away from my lying cheating asshole of a husband.

Me and Seb have been married for 6 years, we got pregnant right out of high school. well, at least I did, Seb was in college at the time and we were doing long-distance. We were the power couple from high school and when he left for college our love for each other stretched the four hours between us. He studied engineering in Boston and on one of our trips to see the other, Maya happened. Seb supported me with everything and when I graduated I left Utica and moved to Boston with him. We got married not long after he graduated and by that time Maya was already born. He started his own construction company and Rita came not long after. 

Seb was my nickname for Sebastian

Was, before this night and however long my husband has been giving his secretary the seven ways to Sunday that I wasn't getting myself. 

In a way, I guess that's a good thing. I guess I could cross  - get an STD panel done - off my list.

I could barely feel the tips of my fingers, or comprehend what and where I was putting the girls' clothes. my only thought was getting everything packed before my husband got home from work, late again.

"Momma.. what's going on?"

I glanced over my shoulder at my oldest, Maya. Through the haze in my mind, I registered the confusion and fear in her eyes

"Maya, baby.. get your sister and put your coat and boots on"

She must not have understood the urgency in my voice. That her Mommy had just caught Daddy on the video surveillance, with his secretary in a very inappropriate position on his desk. 

"Where are we going, Momma? I thought Daddy was tucking me in tonight" 

"Momma is taking you and sissy to grandma and grandpops tonight"

She clearly saw the tears streaming down my face this time I turned to glance at her, that must've been enough to get her cute little legs moving. 

As I carried the girls' bags downstairs I shot a quick look at the time, reading 9:38. I picked up speed, Sebastian usually got home around 10 when he was working later than normal. Tossing the bags in the trunk of my silver Sonata and strapping the girls in was all a blur and I prayed I could shake my mind before driving across the state. I kissed both of the girls on the head before getting into the driver's seat. I closed my eyes for a second and said a quiet goodbye to my life as his wife. 

-------------------------

The girls fell asleep about 40 minutes into the drive, my youngest daughter Rita was out first, and then Maya fell into her slumber a few minutes later. Rita loved to sleep and she was always the hardest to wake up in the mornings. Whereas, Maya was like her father, up at the crack of dawn with the energy to fuel the whole house. Sebastian was always up with her when I strolled down in the mornings. He would have coffee made and my favourite breakfast, avocado toast already on the counter. He used to give me a soft kiss and tell me I was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. 

I felt the tears stinging my eyes at the bittersweet memories. Never again would I find comfort in my husband's arms. 

Judging by the amount of calls coming in from him, he must have seen me and the girls, along with our things missing. Can't imagine why it would bother him this much, at least now he could bring his sleazy secretary home to his own bed

I cringed at the image of her in my bed, on my side of our bed, with my husband's arms around her. 

I didn't accept or even look at my phone screen until I was tucked safely in my childhood bed with my girls out cold for the night in the guest room. After showing up at my mom and dad's at 1:30 in the morning with my two girls in my arms, my mother held me while I cried hysterically in her embrace while my father put the girls in bed. Not one word was uttered from either of our lips, the three of us let the heartbreak inflicted on me settle into the atmosphere.  

I guess now would be the appropriate time to see what my husband has to say. 

Scrolling through my notifications I was actually slightly amused with how much effort he put into contacting me. The last 8 months of our marriage, Sebastian and I barely texted each other twice. Now, there were 74 messages, and he had called 109 times and had filled my voicemail until he couldn't anymore. 

Just as I was about to get into the messages the picture of us at our 5th anniversary popped up on my screen, I guess now was the time to sort this out. 

Hello Everyone! This is officially my first-ever story 

Considering that tiny fact, your feedback is always appreciated!

So please comment 

If you enjoyed this chapter please like and vote 

Byeeeeee