so they say

(Well would you look at that another Homestuck panel redraw)

(This time it's of SMG4 as Roxy Lalonde lmao)

POV: Third Person

"BYE EVERYONE THANKS FOR HAVING ME OVER BUT I'VE GOTTA-"

Slam!

Huh? Well, Three...was gone now. Out the door... probably because of his disease. This was horrible. SMG4 kept thinking about their situation, and how he'd ruined things for them when SMG3 was so close to...

No, he didn't want to finish that thought.

A minute passed.

Another went by.

Four was lost in thought, reminiscing about everything they'd done. They went from mortal enemies fighting to the death, to heroes saving the world several times...and now, friends.

Maybe, kind of. SMG4 didn't even know what Three was to him anymore. Wait, why was he questioning that? Of course, he was a friend and nothing else.

"HELLO!" Mario said, snapping the blue-clad Meme Guardian out of his trance. "GAH! Mario! What is it?!"

Mario shoved SMG4's phone into his hands. "Mario's gots-a bad feeling about S-M-G-3...he thinks you should check on him!" he said.

Four sighed, tapping at his screen. "What do you want me to say?"

"TELL HIM YOU'RE SO GAE FOR HIM AND YOU LOVE HIM AND YOU-"

"MARIO NO! WHAT?!" That's not-! I mean...

No, that was utterly ridiculous! Mario was...completely wrong. Yeah.

SMG4 pushed Mario away and started typing out his message before sending it.

SMG4: Hey Smg3

SMG4: R u ok?

SMG4: You left the castle so suddenly

SMG3: im fine

SMG3: ...now

SMG3: sorry i was in a hurry, theres something i need to tell you.

SMG3: can you come to the graveyard

SMG4: Yea why?

SMG3: i'll tell you when u get here

~~~

"What is it that you wanted to tell me?"

SMG4's voice. It was always kind of weirdly loud but it brought Three comfort hearing it, especially now that he was dying. Like, actually dying now.

"The flowers are getting bigger," Three said, showing Four a rose that was much larger than the first one. "I dunno how much time I have left, and, well, I...wanted to spend it with you. You're the one in the cast who hates me the least, hah."

This all felt so surreal to SMG4. He knew Three was dying this whole time, that he would be gone soon, but it was so hard to fully grasp. This happened so quickly, Three was going to die already...

SMG4's felt Three's pain a little because of their connection, but not the full amount. It was definitely tolerable to him, but SMG3 must have felt it so much worse. Now, Four saw small blue petals everywhere around the Starbucks, some still covered in dried blood. He didn't want to know what the back area near the Void was like. "I...guess... Well, none of us hate you anymore, SMG3," he said, smiling weakly. "You're one of us now."

Is that what he really wanted to say? Did he want to say that no one hated Three, or did he want to say that he...

"Thank you for making me feel so...welcomed," Three smiled at Four, and they walked together through the green hills and overgrown areas of the Internet Graveyard, so close their shoulders were almost touching. 

In the air, feel the instability

Three became lost in his own thoughts after a few minutes.

The silence gets louder and louder

He was thinking about how he would tell SMG4.

A feeling of tranquility

How he would tell SMG4 about the root of his Hanahaki.

When they hold hands, the roaring stops...

It was routine for them. Nothing strange about it, except that now that the Meme Energy was back to normal they didn't let go for a very long time, until they eventually stopped walking. Why didn't the other let go? they both asked themselves, but they were both unsure of the answer.

Three and Four kept going through the green hills, through the forest, until they reached a pond. They had been walking in almost complete silence before, but now both Meme Guardians decided to try a conversation.

"Woah, this place is beautiful..." said SMG4, admiring the pond. The clear afternoon sky was reflected in the clear water, making it look bright blue. Bright blue... It had become so pretty and heartbreaking at the same time, reminding Three of his love's favorite color and the azure blossoms that were slowly killing him at the same time.

~~~

POV: SMG4

Okay, that conversation is over now, since there's been an uncomfortably long pause since either of us have said anything. 

SMG3 just suggested we go get something to eat though, which I could really go for.

"Alright man, what do you want?" Three asked when we teleported to the city. "Wait- hold on, I think we're in the wrong place, hold on..." I glanced around at where we were. It appeared to be some kind of...airport? But all of their airplanes looked like shit.

(This Plot Convenience magic portal is sponsored by O.T. Airlines: Now hiring! No experience or ID needed for us to accept you as a pilot, no questions asked! Disclaimer: If you sign our contract, you can't sue us if you somehow survive your first day!)

...Are you happy now that you've had your little joke?

(Very.)

~~~

Okay, now we're back in the city...that felt weird. I almost feel like I was just forced to watch a shitty advertisement for an inside joke no one cares about...

Anyway, we started walking around for a little while until we decided to get Subways. I got an actual sandwich, but Three just got...two slices of bread with turkey in between. Wow, so much variety. "That's it?" I asked, eyeing his sad, thin sandwich.

"Well, I don't actually like a lot of ingredients." We kept eating in uncomfortable silence, this wasn't how one of your last days should go...

Besides, it felt like Three was still holding back something. I don't think he called me to the Internet Graveyard just to tell me his Hanahaki was worse, that wasn't it...

Since we're cosmically linked, I know he's lying.

Yeah, real fun tool, built-in lie detector for your frenemy! Too bad it only works when they're really, really unsure about their lies and answers. But then what did he have to hide?

What was it?

It was driving SMG4 mad.