no, you're wrong

A week after that evening with Sebastian, I had been engrossed in my work. Sarah was getting harder and harder to contain. Her kid was asking around for her mom, and the whole thing was a mess.

Sebastian hadn't reached out either, but it seemed he had come to his limit since he asked me to come into his office.

I entered, thinking we were going to have a conversation about our current dilemma. However, as the once cold alpha sat in front of me with the expression of a kicked puppy, I had my doubts about it.

"Where were you?" He ask gruffly. I explained the situation with Sarah, my attempts to contain her, and the difficulties we were facing.

Just as we were discussing this, the beta, Nathaniel, walked in, seemingly oblivious to the tension in the room. He joined the conversation, bringing up the issue of me using my magic and possible alternatives.

Nathaniel explained that other packs were experiencing an increase in magical interference, disrupting their pack life. The three of us continued to discuss this pressing issue, exploring various solutions and the potential threats it posed to our pack and others.

The beta's words sent a shiver down my spine. "When you say threats, do you mean like witchcraft?" I asked, my confusion evident in my tone. I noticed a momentary hesitation in Nathaniel.

"Yes, that's what I'm referring to," he confirmed while glancing over at the alpha. "But the strange part is, they aren't targeting this pack specifically. It's like they can't."

I scratched my head and frowned, pondering the implications. I lazily lay back in the chair and began to think out loud. "Well... I don't think they're willingly avoiding us. It might be that they simply can't target this pack."

"I told you I had the barrier up," I reiterated firmly, feeling the weight of their skepticism.

The beta fired back, his tone challenging, "And it failed."

I locked eyes with the alpha. "Did it, though? Or was the witch already here?"

The alpha countered, "She wasn't here previously."

I continued, my voice resolute, "Well, let's say that's true, and she broke through the barrier. What then? She decides to go ballistic on people? It doesn't make any sense."

I added, "Luminous magic can't touch dark magic. But it does take a toll if its spells are powerful enough."

The beta responded skeptically, "No offense, Lilian, but I don't think you're powerful enough."

At the sound of the alpha's growl and his hasty cough to cover it up, I shot him a sharp glare.

I went on, making my point clear, "My point is, if there isn't anyone breaking in... there might be a reason."

The room remained tense as we grappled with this mysterious situation and the potential threats it posed to the pack.

"I'll go check the borders," I suggested, hoping to contribute in a meaningful way.

"Absolutely not," the alpha shot down my suggestion without hesitation. The beta, however, swiftly turned his head toward the alpha.

"With due respect, I don't agree, Alpha. If Witch Lilian can see what's going on up close, it would aid the pack," the beta argued, his tone firm.

Sebastian remained adamant that it was too risky, once again shooting down my idea. I was growing increasingly frustrated.

After the meeting, I caught up with the beta, who seemed to be more receptive to my suggestion. "Let's go check the borders anyway," I proposed.

He hesitated for a moment before accepting my offer, his expression conflicted. "Lilian, you're really making this hard for me," he replied, a hint of exasperation in his voice.

As nightfall came, Nathaniel and I ventured into the forest, making our way toward the pack's borders.

Witches had no scent, but a werewolf did. I used my abilities to cover Nathaniel's tracks, allowing us to approach without alerting anyone.

When we reached the border, I pointed ahead and instructed the beta to stop. At first, he seemed puzzled, but he soon realized the barrier was right in front of him. It had an electrified, undetectable purple hue.

"It will allow you to pass through, completely undetectable," I said, a sense of pride in my voice.

But then, we heard a voice. "Looks like witchy is finally here." The beta readied himself to attack the intruder, but I held him back.

"She isn't allowed in," I informed the intruder.

"Aren't you glad?" she taunted. "You're a Shaw, after all, the stupidest bloodline. A disappointment."

"I'd expect this kind of magic from a Mauldin or a Creighton," she continued, her tone growing increasingly deranged. "This pack is basically royalty and they hire you!Idiots."

The intruder locked eyes with the beta and approached the barrier, mocking him. "Tell me, beta, has your alpha sunk so low that he hires a Shaw to do janitor work for him?"

"Listen, lady," I retorted, shaking my head and pursing my lips. "The only one who's sunk low is you. I'd rather die than stand outside the pack begging to be let in. That's just desperate."

"If I were you, I'd go away and find your hairline that ran off a while ago," I added. "And while you're at it, find some self-dignity."

Enraged, she unleashed a blast of magic at the barrier, causing it to glow brighter and shock her, sending her tumbling back into a tree. The beta looked at me and then at the barrier, clearly impressed by its resilience.

The intruder lay there, dazed and singed from her own magical backlash. Nathaniel and I exchanged a look of triumph. I was well aware that confronting this menacing intruder would raise the stakes significantly.

Nathaniel, a spark of admiration in his eyes, commented, "That hairline comment...it was good. "

"Thanks Nonna taught me" I replied, still keeping a close eye on the defeated witch.

The intruder began to groan, showing signs of stirring. "Looks like we've only bought ourselves a temporary reprieve," I cautioned.

Nathaniel nodded, agreeing. "She won't stay down for long. We should go back and report to the alpha."

"Agreed," I said.

When Nathaniel and I arrived back at the pack house, the atmosphere was tense. We headed straight for the alpha's office to report our findings. Sebastian, who had been pacing with a worried expression, stopped when he saw us.

"What happened?" he demanded, his tone laced with concern and frustration. "I forbid you from going"

I stepped forward and began explaining the events at the border and the confrontation with the intruder. Nathaniel chimed in with his observations and reactions during the encounter.

Sebastian listened intently, his piercing eyes never leaving mine as I spoke. He seemed to be both infuriated by the intrusion and impressed by the effectiveness of my magical barrier.

Once we finished recounting the events, he sighed deeply and ran a hand through his hair. "I can't believe someone would dare to breach our territory. It's madness."

Nathaniel added, "She was mocking us, questioning your judgment for allowing a Shaw to handle this."

Sebastian's jaw tightened at the mention of the Shaw name, a conflicted expression crossing his face. "I knew this would bring challenges, but this is something else."

"I can reinforce the barriers," I suggested. "That should buy us some time."

Sebastian nodded, his gaze softening as he looked at me. "Good. Lilian."

The tension in the room eased slightly, and it was clear that we had a shared goal now—to protect the pack from whatever threats might emerge.