The Kitten

A/N: This takes place after the human version of the Doctor comes to the alternate universe with Rose so they are dating and living together and stuff.

The Doctor and Rose laughed and ran inside the cafe. "That came out of nowhere," Rose said, brushing back her rain-soaked hair and gazing out the window at the thick gray clouds. "There's no way we'll be able to get a cab. I guess we'll have to stay here until this lets up." The Doctor nodded. "Let's get some tea, then." They headed for the counter.
They had barely sat down when Rose leapt up and ran back outside. Before the Doctor could ask what was going on, Rose had scooped up something that had been lying on the ground and ran back inside.
"What is that?" the Doctor asked. Rose simply turned toward him, revealing the thing that was cradled in her arms.
It was a kitten. A very young one, maybe only four weeks old. It was soaked from the storm and shivering, its eyes barely open. The Doctor looked back outside, searching for the tiny cat's mother. That's when he saw the blood-soaked patch of fur laying in the street. "Its mum is dead." he told Rose. The kitten seemed to hear him, because it made a weak mewling sound in response.
By this time, the rain was beginning to let up, so the Doctor and Rose hailed a cab home. Rose took off her sweatshirt and wrapped the kitten in it to try and warm it up. "Can I hold it?" the Doctor asked. He had seen a lot of small, fuzzy creatures in his time, but kittens were among the cutest.
Rose smiled. "Just be careful." she said as she passed the little cat over. The Doctor grinned as Rose handed him the kitten. It was a cute little thing. It had light brown tabby fur and big green eyes. It looked, the Doctor realized from remembering one of his dreams, just like the newer version of the Doctor.
"Aw, hello." the Doctor said in Cat down to the kitten. The kitten responded, "Sir, could you help me find my mum?" Oh, no. "I'm so sorry," the Doctor said, "but your mother is dead. She was hit by a car." The kitten wailed. The Doctor hurriedly tried to calm it down. "It's alright. My friend Rose and I will take care of you." "Doctor," said Rose, "what are you saying to that kitten?"
      "About that," the Doctor said, "I may have just told it we'd adopt it."
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::
     A few hours later, after a not-too-quick stop at the vet and the pet store, the Doctor, Rose, and the kitten were home. The large bow on the collar Rose had bought slipped down to the front of  his neck, making the kitten look like he had on a bowtie.
     "I just realized we never asked him his name." Rose said to the Doctor once they were inside. The Doctor relayed this message to the kitten.
     "Well, Mummy had me near a hat shop, so she named me and my brothers and sisters after types of hats. She said that when she saw me, she thought of a type of hat called a fez. So my name is Fez."
      "Fez." the Doctor mused to himself. "That'll fit in here just fine."