Chapter One

I was walking down the streets of New York City, a cup of warm latte in my hand. This all felt surreal to me. It was only five years ago that I was studying in my small apartment in France. Back then, all I dreamed of was crossing the Atlantic and never looking back. And now, here I was, contemplating about these years as the music blasted into my earphones. 

It was early December. The air was cold and I could only be gratified that the coffee that I was holding in my hand was warming me up. 

Me thinking about my study years was undoubtedly an excuse from what was actually making me nervous this morning. I was indeed vainly trying to forget about the anxiety that has been building up inside me ever since I got the position for this job. 

This was going to be my first job in the fashion industry. Although I got the job, I never properly studied fashion. All in all, I went to law school, graduated, and did a 6-month training course on 'how to become a fashion designer', as they said. Somehow, I managed to get hired here, in one of the most prestigious maisons.  This training course had maybe provided me enough knowledge about the fashion industry, but it didn't take back on my lack of experience. I was going to be compared to people who have had years of training and experiences behind their backs. 

My thoughts were interrupted at the sight of the giant building standing in front of me. It was a big black building, very classy, that looked like most of the buildings of Rockefeller Center, Manhattan. But someohow, there was something more to it. As if you knew this building was not consecrated to offices filled with businessmen and businesswomen, working 24/7 only to buy and sell things to then go back to their kids in the suburbs. 

A few people were coming in and out of the high black bloc. Although it was early in the morning, these people didn't have a frown on their face. Maybe it was a thing of people who worked in a creative industry like the fashion industry. It made them appreciate smaller things a little more and maybe see through the common things of life to perceive the little uncommon and deeper details.

After a few minutes of standing still in front of the building, I gathered my thoughts and approached the gate. I looked at the signboard at the top of the white door to see a small and minimalist "THE ROW" written in gold capital letters. I threw my empty cup of coffee into the garbage can on my right and unplugged my earphones. 

I checked one more time my outfit, which consisted in a pair of wide black wool pants with an oversized burgundy-red tailored jacket on top. My hair was down, and I kept on my natural blond waves. I should fit in, I whispered to myself. A wave of confidence washed through me and I took it as the sign to finally pass the gateway.

The building's interior was very clean and nit. A receptionist was taking calls on the left side of the hall. On the right side, there was a wall covered with what seemed to be paintings and magazines. 

My curiosity took the better of me and I went over to the wall to see it from close. The framed magazines were well-known fashion magazines that had dedicated their front covers to The Row. There were also about ten abstract and colorful acrylic paintings, surrounded by pictures. I think that these pictures were pictures of Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen, standing next to other people, who I suppose are other fashion designers. 

It still amazed me that I was about to work for the Olsen twins. They're superstars. Everybody knows who they are, either because of their former acting career, or for their style and achievements in the fashion industry. Some would also say they know them from the mystery that flows over them.

"Mh mh" Someone scoffed from behind me. 

At this moment I realized I had been staring at the pictures on the wall for a good couple of minutes, without even letting the receptionist, or even anyone, know that I was allowed to be there.