XVIII

I sat down on my chair. I watched my surroundings, staring at the door in front of me, the walls, then the files settled on my desk. I didn't want to be here today. I tried my best to shake off the uneasiness by focusing on the work I had to get done. 

So, the hours dragged on, and after many failed attempts to actually focus, I got up and went to the window. I opened it and leaned against it, looking at the streets. I lighted up a cigarette and started thinking. I couldn't let her have that much of a hold on me. She was nothing to me aside from my boss, and it will always be that way. And, anyway, I wouldn't even want it any other way.

The sky became darker. Dawn looked beautiful today. Shades of pink were highlighting the dark blue of the night to come. A memory came across my mind as I realized the last time I had been standing here was when she had joined me the day after the rooftop party. It was that day she had offered me if I wanted to meet her for a smoke. I had said yes, but obviously now I know how stupid it was. She was just playing with me and I should've expected it. Why would she appreciate me of all the others? It was all stupid. Now I was sure I was overthinking it again, but I couldn't help it.

After a while, I got rid of my cigarette and left the room. I headed to Niguel's office and opened the door. He and Emily were inside, talking. Niguel was seated on his office chair and Emily on his desk. They gave me a smile when I entered.

"Long time no see," Emily said smiling.

I smiled in return and sat next to her on the desk. "You guys haven't left yet," I remarked. They usually leave as soon as office hours are over.

"Nah, we're just talking," Niguel shrugged.

"Oh, and Ana!" Emily said, "Thank you! Mary-Kate has been acting almost not rude to me today,"

I frowned. "What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"Well, you must have talked to her, no? You remember I had asked you if you could give her a word or two about how she was very unfair to me?" Emily explained. I gulped.

I looked back at Niguel and Emily and attempted to change the subject of our conversation. "Are you two doing something for the holidays?" I asked.

"I'm going to LA for Christmas, I'm meeting friends there," Niguel said, and I nodded. I looked over at Emily.

"Me?" She exclaimed as she brought one of her hands to her chest. "No, I'm doing absolutely nothing. My life is miserable" Niguel rolled his eyes and I chuckled. Niguel's expression switched to a professional one as he looked towards the door of the office. I stopped laughing and turned around. I froze as I saw her standing by the door.

"Do you need help with anything Mary-Kate?" Niguel asked and I didn't budge a thread. I looked at her altough I couldn't help the ache that I felt in my chest. Her eyes met mine and my breath caught in my throat. After two seconds that felt like a long suffocating moment, she moved her gaze back to Niguel.

"No no, I was just checking who had left the office and who was still here." She muttered.

"Well, Emily and I were about to leave," Niguel said and Emily nodded. "You too Ana?" He asked.

"I- yeah, yeah, I'm leaving too," I said as I stood up from the desk.

I got up and looked at both Emily and Niguel. "I'll see you tomorrow," I said with a small smile then turned around, looking at my feet. I walked toward the door and went past her. I swung by my office, gathered my belongings, and left.

I went straight back to my apartment. The moment I had gone past my door, I couldn't stop the tears I had somehow managed to contain through the day from running down my cheeks. I sat down on my couch and stayed like this until I had calmed down. I tried my best to put myself together. I couldn't cry about her; it was stupid and meaningless.