Chapter Five

The coffee shop wasn't as busy as it usually was. Feasibly because today was Sunday, 07:23 p.m. 

Valentina and I entered the coffee shop, feeling the warm air from inside substituting to the cold winter breath of the streets. 

"How did you find out about this place?" Valentina inquired, looking at the place in awe. 

"This is where I pick up my bosses' coffees every day, I thought it was great." She squinted her eyes and then walked towards the counter without saying a word.

"Hi Florence" I greeted, and she looked up at me. 

"Oh, hi Ana!" She smiled and stopped whatever it is that she was doing. 

"They're making you work even on Sundays?" She asked and I shook my head. "No, no. I'm here with a friend." I looked at Valentina and pointed her with my finger. 

"Best friend actually" Valentina corrected while smiling and rolling her eyes playfully. Florence and I chuckled before she added, "What can I get for you two?".

...

After we both ordered something to eat and a caffeine-free coffee, we sat at a table in the corner of the place.

"So, tell me everything. "She stated. 

I took a deep breath. "Well...", I started but stopped, not quite knowing where to start. 

"Come on spit it out" she hailed, and I paused to collect my thoughts, then I continued. 

"I have my own office now, I'm no longer in Mary-Kate's office. So that's one good thing. Work has been fine, they even picked one of my works over someone else's"

"Wait, who picked your work?"

"The twins, the bosses" I clarified. "Right".

I kept on talking while she was sipping slowly her coffee. "Then there was Niguel and Emily;"

"Those people you talked to me about last time?" She asked. I nodded and went on. 

"Well, we're quite bonding. We've shared lunch a few times this week and they invited me to that event last night" She nodded as a sign that she was still listening. 

"They told me it was a party. Turns out it was more of a business night out kinda thing". She frowned and tilted her head, inquiring me to be more explicit. "It was on the rooftop of the Plaza. There were shit tons of designers, and obviously, Mary-Kate and Ashley were there." 

Her eyes grew wide as I said this. She smiled in disbelief. "Geez Ana... Has anything else happened?" She asked and I hesitated. 

"Actually, there was this one thing, but it's not that significant" She took a bite of her food and raised her head. 

"I ran into Mary-Kate when I was going to the restroom. I mean... 'ran' is more of an understatement... I kind of bumped into her. Or maybe it was her who bumped into me, I don't remember." She frowned her eyebrows once again, confused. It was like each time I added a detail to what had happened she seemed a little bit more disoriented.

"What- how did she... have you... wait- how?" She stuttered and I chuckled. 

"I don't know Valentina. I have no idea I was just walking... and I was on my phone at the same time... I guess I wasn't paying attention, and neither did she." I shrugged. 

She nodded and paused. "So, after you ran into her or she ran into you or whatever, what happened?"

I sighed. "I... we apologized, both of us and... then she said my name I think"