Chapter 3

Snow wadded nervously into the river, feeling the water rush by her fur. Slipping, Snow lost her fitting and stumbled, her nose breathing in water. Coughing, Snow called out,"Be careful of the rocks here! You might slip."

"I can't feel the bottom!" Moon cried. Snow lunged forward and sank her teeth into his scruff and started tugging him to shore. I have to make it- if I don't, I might have put the group in danger. Snow let out a muffled cry of relief as she felt dry sand under her paws. Spitting out fur, Snow and Moon stared at their packmates slowly making their way through the river. Alata tensed as she saw a queen slip, then regained her balance.

After everyone made their way through the river, the wolves collapsed and started tending each other. Snow's heart swelled with pride as she saw how her pack cared for each other. Settling down, Snow started lapping affectionately at her brother's ear,"Snow, look," her brother whispered, pointing behind Snow with his tail. Whipping her head, Snow stared at her brother Coral delicately grooming a pretty silver wolf's pelt.

"At least he's helping out," Snow remarked.

"No, look at his eyes," Moon murmured. Snow stared at Coral's eyes for a long time before she realized.

The joy.

The caring look.

Coral found a friend.

With astonishment, Snow woofed, "It's the time that he got a wolf to hang out with,"

Moon nodded,"Well, ready to go?" Snow added.

"Definitely. In fact, you are our leader, we will listen to you, as long as you keep us safe," Moon asserted. With a flick of her tail, Snow and her group padded away from the river and settled down under a cliff ledge as fat drops of rain started to come down.

"At least the rain should quench the fire," a young she-wolf about the age as Snow remarked.

"It will. In fact, we might have a storm on the way, Petal," Aqua anxiously pointed out as a gust of wind rattled the leaves on trees. The group nervously glanced at Snow.

"Yes, best for us to stay here for now," Snow confirmed,"Petal, you see the boulder behind you? There might be some bedding growing on the rocks."

Petal poked her head behind the boulder,"There's some ferns here, and- oh, look! There's some dry twigs and moss!" As she scooted back, grunting, she pulled out a mouthful of bedding and piled it on the ground. Soon, the wolves were working together to pull out every piece of bedding they could grab.

"We need to divide the bedding evenly, how about everyone get a mouthful first? Then we'll see what's left," Snow suggested,"Get in a line everyone."

"Good job, Snow. You're doing great," Moon praised,"Everything seems to be clicking along, it's perfect."

"Am I being a bit too bossy?" Snow worried.

"No, these wolves like something to do that their leader ordered, so they don't feel disorganized," Moon reassured.

"Ok, thanks," Snow said with a little more courage,"Go, get some bedding," she added.

Dipping his head, Moon padded to the end of the line.

"We're spending the night here, so get comfortable," Snow called out. Grabbing a bout of moss for herself, Snow allowed seconds as she started fluffing up her nest.

"I'm hungry!" A pup wailed.

"I know, dear, but right now I don't have anything to give to you," Daisy replied gently,"You might have to wait until tomorrow."