Chapter 10

Snow sneezed, her eyes stinging from the dust in the barn. "Are you sure this is ok to spend the night?" Snow asked, her tone worrying.

Daisy rolled her eyes. "I used to live here, don't forget. You will get used to it." Sniffing the air, she added, "In fact, I think there is someone you should meet. Snowflake needs to rest, she can't walk for much longer."

Snow saw sense in that. The wound along Snowflake started to infect, with yellow pus oozing out.

Snow ducked her head and went into the barn.

"This roof looked like it fell before," Moon commented. "Also means that it could fall again. If it did, Snowflake could be in a whole world of trouble. She may be able to walk, but she can't run."

Daisy's blue eyes filled with worry. Shaking it off, she padded behind one of the haystacks and pushed an irritable-looking red creature out. "Hey, introduce yourself."

"I'm Coyote," the newcomer muttered.

"B-but you're a wolf!" Coral exclaimed.

Ouch. That was rude.

"I'm half coyote, ok?" Coyote retorted.

"How did that happen?" Moon whispered into Snow's ear. Snow shrugged.

"Listen, we were driven out of our home and we thought if we could stay here," Snow woofed in a soothing voice.

"STAY HERE?" Coyote barked. "Life is hard enough without wolves sticking their noses in my business?"

Snow reeled, taken aback. "B-but you live in a barn!" Daisy exclaimed. "A roof over your head, endless supplies of bedding, and prey!"

"Prey!?" Coyote spat. "I haven't had a bite of food in ages!"

Daisy cocked her head. "There was enough prey to feed your pups, weren't there? Where are they?"

Coyote snarled. "Humans took them away." His eyes shone with grief. "Then they poisoned the prey."

"Why?" Snow asked, bewildered.

"How in the Moons should I know?" Coyote hissed. "Why do humans walk on two legs and have no tail?"

Just clearing things up, the Moon is valued by loners, therefore they say "How in the Moons...." or "Great Moon!...." This is different from Moon, Snow's sister. Enjoy!!!! :D

~Corgi

Daisy sighed. "Please, Coyote. We'll hunt for you!"

"We will?" Coral half whispered to Snow.

"Be quiet," Moon hissed.

"You won't find anything," Coyote muttered, his voice softened. "I understand you want to stay here, and I respect it."

Daisy shrunk. "I missed you, Coyote."

Coyote sighed. "Come on, get your pack inside. I smell a storm on the way."

Daisy winked at Snow. "Knew it would work."

Moon snorted.

"Hey, Snow, you want me to take a patrol for some prey?" Rain suggested.

"Sure I'm craving a squirrel right now," said Snow, licking her chops. "Take Frost and Pine with you. I'll come myself."

As they got ready to leave, Moon murmured, "Petal is close to birth. Are you sure you want to leave the pack? And the storm the Coyote mentioned is on its way."

Snow licked her brother's ear. "I'll be fine."

As Snow came out of the barn, she and her patrol were greeted by a gust of brisk wind. "Let's hope that all of the prey gets blown out of their burrows," Pine remarked.