Chapter 17

Snow shook away her sleepiness and bounded to the dusty den where Moon slept.

"Moon!" Snow placed her front paw on his shoulder, shaking him awake.

"Wha–," Moon rolled over and batted feebly at Snow's arm.

"Moon, I know where Luna is," Snow hissed. That jolted him awake. Moon shook his pelt out, scraps of moss tossed around. He sheepishly glanced at Snow and started scraping his nest together. Rolling a moss ball, Moon hurried to a puddle outside of the hollow log and soaking the moss in water, and tucked it beside Star to lap at.

"Here, Star, eat some more feverfew," Moon urged. "I drenched them in mouse blood."

"No appetite..." Star mumbled, but chewed on the herbs.

"She ate half a mouse yesterday, so that's an improvement," Moon said brightly.

Snow nodded, and pulled him away. "Moon, I had a dream last night, and I know were Luna is," she repeated.

Snow told Moon all about the tunnel, the voice calling her to go through it, the cage, and how an invisible force kept her back, and only a wolf close to death or is dead can go through.

Moon looked thoughtful, his tail flicking side to side. "And, what do you want me to do?" he asked.

Snow flicked her tail impatiently, "I don't know, put me into a coma or something," she scoffed.

Moon tilted his head. "I–might be able to do something. It's dangerous though, and I'm not sure if the remedy works," his paws shuffled.

"I'm listening," Snow said.

Moon took a breath, "If you eat deathberries, you can die within an hour or two, but if you vomit it up, then you can live."

"How do I vomit them then, if I'm unconscious?" Snow asked.

"I'll feed you yarrow," Moon said simply.

Snow hesitated. "Alright, let's do it."

~~~

Moon rolled three bright red berries towards Snow, with yarrow beside him.

"Eat these. When the sun reaches the highest, I'll feed you the yarrow. You'll have 2 hours," Moon instructed.

Snow chewed the berries, swallowing. Almost at once, Snow felt like it was hard to breathe. A sensation in her gut burned and Snow's limbs were hard to move. She thrashed, and black specks clouded her vision. The fire in her felt like it was going to burst out of her body, and Snow wheezed for air, and her lungs felt like they were about to collapse. Paw's seem to crush her neck, making it harder to breathe.

Too—much. Not...going to make it... Snow thought hopelessly, and she fell into a whole of blackness.

Snow opened her eyes, the sensation gone.

I made it! Snow thought.

Snow dashed into the tunnel and burst out the other end.

"Father! I'm here!" Snow cried, and she ran to the cage. Snow grabbed pawfulls of brambles, but it seemed like everytime she tugged out a branch, another would replace it.

"Snow! How did you get past?" Marigold barked, bewildered.

"I-kinda poisoned myself," Snow stammered.

"WHAT?" Father shrieked. "Are you dead?"

"No, no no, Moon gave me two hours, then he'll feed me this herb and I'll go back to the living world," Snow explained.

Father sighed. "This is very dangerous, Snow."

Not replying, Snow gnawed at a vine.

After many attempts, her jaw felt sore and raw.

Biting back a sob, it felt like the vines were getting stronger, and harder. Snow heard the wolves scratching desperately at the vines form inside, but nothing worked.

An hour passed. "Snow, you don't have much more time. It's useless," Marigold cried.

Snow shook her head. "Marigold, Daisy misses you. I can't let her down."

A pause. "Daisy's alive?" Marigold whispered hopefully. At that moment, a few vines snapped, making a hole that Snow can see through. Her heart sank on how transparent Marigold looked like.

"Wait, did any of you do that?" Luna asked. No one responded.

"I think Marigold's hope did this," Father smiled.

Luna tilted her head. "Vengeance trapped us somehow, because he used the power in us. That power was hate, and fear," Luna guessed. "Now that we're gaining hope, the cage has gotten weaker."

Snow smiled. "Luna, Twig misses you."

Luna grinned, and began scratching once more at the vines.

A few moments later, the cage collapsed and the wolves scrambled out.

"Thank you Snow, you've done a great deed. We can return to the living world, and the dead can return to their land, to watch over us once again. Farewell," Luna bowed her head. Howling to her pack, Luna dashed into the tunnel and disappeared.

Snow started to follow, but her father turned her around.

With his eyes filled with worry, he said "Vengeance would have his power returned to him. But I sent Luna's pack to rejoin you, amd hopefully you will be as powerful as ever."

Snow nodded. "Dad, I have to go."

Father nodded. "And, one more thing, have I ever told you my name?"

Snow shook her head.

"It's Moonlight."