Magenta

Poisonwing slept on a branch with a perfect view of the entire rainforest. Sunshine lit his scales and his tail grip on the branch loosened. He smiled and snuggled closer into the earn the of the branch. Something snapped behind him and he groggily sat up and looked around. Nothing was there that he could see, so he put his head back down and fell asleep. A minute later, there was a louder snap and he stood straight up.
"Hello?" He asked and looked around. Nothing looked unusual. . Wait. . Was that an overlapped branch or a dragon in disguise? "Hello? Anyone there?"
       Suddenly, a pink and purple Rainwing shimmered into view and stared at him as if he was a panther looking like a hippo. She looked younger and very excited. She stared at him with bright eyes and smiled.
"Hi! Sorry to startle you. I'm Magenta," she rushed abd vowed her head. He stared at her.
"Heeeello?" He half smiled, half smirked. She stared back at him and laughed.
"You should see your face, it's ugly," she said. She suddenly seemed to understand what she said and started apologising as if she had just trampled someone over because they flew in her direction. "I meant that you face looked really goofy. No! I meant. . . you know what I mean right?" He nodded.
"I'm Poisonwing," he introduced, and she gasped.
"Like PRINCE Poisonwing??" She gasped and started apologising even more. He waved his talon and laughed.
"It isn't a big deal."
"You must be joking!" Her tail turned a nervous green mixed with an embarrased yellow. She wrapped her tail on her branch and clutched on tighter. "That is a great title! You could do anything and get away with anything you'd want." Her face seemed to get more and more deflated as she spoke.
"Not technically," Poisonwing hiccuped. "I still have to follow rules like you do, but I'm not really important because I am not technically and heir to the throne-"
"You are important. Everyone is," Magent moved over to his branch and laid down to his eye level.
He smiled at her and patted her head.
"You are so beautiful," he mumbled. She stared at him and a wave of pink waved over her scales.
"And you are so handsome," she mumbled back, put her nose to his talons, and slept there with him. He slept there, too.

       An hour later, Poisonwing found Magenta curved in his side, breathing softly and twitching in her sleep. He watched her intently and put a wing over her. She relaxed and hiccuped something.
"Please don't, Father. I'm sorry," she whispered, and Poisonwing felt angry for some reason. He had only met this small dragonet an hour ago, but he felt as if he'd known her for years. She was so tiny and defenseless. Now that he looked at her even more, he saw bruises and scratches all over her body, as if someone has been bullying her.
"Magenta," he whispered and she woke up, startled and  sweating. "It'll be okay." He pulled her face closer and kissed her forehead. "I'll.protrct you from anyone and anything. I promise."
       A tear rolled down her face and she sat up. He sat up with her and she buried her watery face in his chest. She wailed for a minute and her scales turned a soft blue and pink. They sat there comforting each other through it all. Poisonwing realized that he felt as if she was his responsibility, and he'd protect her to the very end. He put his head between her eyes and pulled her closer.
"I'm sorry, Maggy."
"It's okay, Poipoi."