chapter three

Waking up in my new dorm room feels weird. The room is a lot different from the one I have in the HQ. It looks as if it is meant to be homely. However, it does not feel like that at all. It is a weird mix of my favourite colour that is drowned out by cream and beige. With a bunch of teenage things everywhere, but thankfully there are a bunch of random books. I got a present, to say 'thanks for doing this' and 'let me distract you with some of your favourite things'.

It does look and feel nice being able to put things where I wanna put them. As well as for once not being babysat, no one has come in and checked on me since I arrived and begged farewell to Akira. I am shitting myself. I feel confident with my hero work but here, whilst getting ready and putting on a school uniform, I feel so out of place. Body rushing with anxiety and twirling with self-doubt. I clean up my appearance before heading out of my dorm.

Everything is quiet. I don't think there is a single person still in here and I don't think any of them have realised I have moved into the dorm. I made an effort to be a little later than the rest because I didn't wanna run into them. Too many conversations, awkward conversations.

The elevator dings opening up to the shared common floor. They are all gone, except for a taller man standing near the entrance. Easerhead. The sleepy older man gives me a short wave and I speed walk up to him. "Good morning, y/n."

"Good morning sir," I say shyly.

"I know this isn't the best time, but this conversation needs to happen. So that we are all on the same page." In a muted tone he continues talking.

Explaining the dangers of my work. He doesn't want his other students involved or hurt because they tend to dive head-first into things before thinking. That some have egos and will do anything to one-up me. And that some of them will care too much about me and want me safe. Or they get too interested and forget where they stand. The other students have only just gotten their provisional licences. I have had an altered full licence for almost a year.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what he is saying.

But it feels so isolating. Like an invisible wall is already being put up between me and the other students.

I bite my tongue and nod my head. I already want to cry and I have been awake for only an hour. My teacher says, "Look kid, I am only saying this because I have to. I am not trying to scold you but you are more mature than the rest of my students."

Ouch.

"I am only more mature because I never got to be a kid," I mumble under my breath. I know he heard it but he stayed silent for the rest of the walk until we made it to the classroom.

"Good Morning class." The deadpan expression is still reigning. "Give a warm welcome to y/n l/n."

I got some awkward half-assed responses, and some didn't even say anything. They just looked at me like I was a glass statue so foreign that they didn't know how to act. Though at least everyone was decent enough to look my way. I give a small wave before saying so awkwardly that I want to punch myself a simple," hi."

"L/n is a transfer student from another faculty. Make sure to make her feel welcome and a part of the class, I expect her to be treated no differently than the rest of you treat each other." He motions for me to sit at the empty table in the middle to the left of the classroom before getting straight into the class's obviously normal routine. I get a sour taste in my mouth from his words, because I sure as hell know I am already being treated differently to the rest of them.

~

The double homeroom morning periods had gone by so quickly, that as I made an attempt to gather my thoughts and shove my belongings under my desk I hadn't realised someone was standing in front of me just as the bell had gone to signify recess.

"Hi." I somewhat flinched as I looked straight up at the seemingly fully pink girl in front of me.

I had recognised her, as well as the redhead male as soon as I walked into the classroom this morning, Eijiro Kirishima and Mina Ashido. "Hi."

A moment of silence passed as we looked at each other. "Ashido! Hurry up! I am hungry."

We both snapped our heads towards the door of the classroom. Mina spoke, "Just wait! I am trying to work out if I know this newbie or not!" She throws her hands up motioning like what she is saying is common sense.

I laugh slightly before standing up. At the sound of my laugh, she turns her attention back to me. "Holy shit it is you! Y/n!"

She throws herself at me, arms around my neck. I only just caught her before stumbling back slightly. "I almost didn't recognize you! What- how? Are you ok? I am so confused."

I shake my head, "Don't worry Mina. I am ok. I'll explain later after school... right now I just need to-"

She cuts me off understanding what I mean, "Right! Yes, sorry- come with me. You can join me and my friends." She links her arm with mine before pulling me along, "It'll be good to finally have another girl to talk to instead of these insufferable males!"

I laugh at her comment, walking with her as she pulls me through the corridors of UA. We hadn't necessarily been close, we were young and obviously no one remains the same as they were when they were children. She points out random classrooms and different areas, everything is eerily quiet. As we turn a corner and enter the cafeteria my heart jumps into my throat. My steps stutter. Mina notices my faltering and turns to me.

"Don't worry. It gets easier but don't worry. None of them are paying attention to us." She gives me a reassuring smile.

"Right." I give a quick nod and she drops her arm unlinking ours.

She walks ahead and I follow her as we wind through the tables and various students. "Sorry, I'm late, boys." She pulls out two chairs, "I brought an extra. Everyone, meet our lovely newbie Y/n."

Mina points a finger at a blonde boy with a black lightning bolt stripping his hair, "This is Denki Kaminari." She moves onto the boy next to him, longish black hair, "Hanta Sero." She then points at a familiar face, a bulky redhead, "Eijiro Kirishima as you know." Kirishima gives me a small unsure wave. I don't have time to respond as we move on to the last person sitting at the table, "Last but certainly not least Katsuki Bakugo.

I smile at them, the first four and Mina happily involve me in conversation as we join them at the table. However, Bakugo just looks at me. I give him a small glance catching his eyes and I smile softly. His eyes flick away.