Chapter 2

Scarlett's Pov

I sustained the eye contact for a moment longer until my business partner and dear friend, Shaun, drew near. "Hey, Scarlet, when did you get back?" His voice snapped me out of my reverie, and I quickly averted my gaze. "Oh, hello, what?" I responded, refocusing my attention and regaining my composure.

Arching an eyebrow, Shaun repeated, "I was asking when you returned." I answered, "Just this evening and here I am, it seems there's no rest for me in this life."

"Stop with the dramatics," he teased, "so, how did the meeting go?" I couldn't help but smile as I replied, "It went well. He's going to join forces with us." The meeting had been with Mr. Elias Wane, a prominent fashion designer in the country. He had agreed to collaborate with our company, which was a significant achievement.

"Wow, congrats, Scar," Shaun chimed in with a congratulatory tone. "By the way, you're looking absolutely stunning today".

"Thank you, Shaun. You're looking good too," I responded with a friendly grin. We talked for a while but then a group of people surrounded us.

"Where's Mr. Jules, Ms. Jules? He didn't make it to the party?" one of them inquired. "No, he's away on a business trip, so he couldn't make it," I responded politely, even though, to be honest, I was eager for this party to end so I could head home. I reached for a champagne glass from a passing waiter and listened to their conversation.

Then Mr. Miller, one of my father's former business associates, asked with a smug smirk on his face, "Ms. Jules, how's Ample? It is Ample, right? Your company?" It was clear he was trying to belittle me. I had recently launched my own fashion company named "Ample," and, truth be told, it wasn't doing particularly well in the industry as it had only just begun. Nonetheless, this opportunist couldn't resist bringing it up.

"Oh, Ample is doing pretty well in the industry. It may not be a huge name just yet, but we're working on it, and we value the journey as much as the destination." I responded "Now if you will excuse me" I said with a smile, and then I made my exit.

I made my way to the bar counter and took a seat on one of the stools, requesting another glass. From my right, a voice came, "How's your evening, Ms. Scarlett Jules?" When I turned to look, I found none other than Noah Cartel; it was going to be an eventful night.

"Hectic would be the right word" I said giving my champagne glass a gentle spin.

Noah's Pov

I have to confess, she's stunning, no doubt about it. But I can't help wondering, why now? Why would Mr. Jules want his precious daughter to marry me now especially when I've got nothing left, and my company is in shambles?

I looked at her Scarlett Jules, a growing entrepreneur, heiress of a big company and my fiancé and we hadn't engaged in a single conversation till now.

"Would you like to go out on a date with me sometime?" Scarlett asked out of the blue. I looked at her wide eyed "what?". "A date, you and me?" she asked looking at me straight in the eyes. "So, you are okay with me being your fiancé?"

"I didn't say that" she said sipping on her champagne. I chuckled and took a sip of my wine. "A date you say" I said looking at her, she was looking at me expecting an answer. "Okay, let's give it a shot," I thought to myself. I wasn't sure what was on her mind when she proposed the date, but I am clearly not looking for some romance when I have to focus on rebuilding my company.

"Fantastic, may I have your number?" She extended her phone, and I gave her my number. "Goodnight, Ms. Jules," I said, preparing to leave for home. "Goodnight, and just call me Scarlett," she replied with a warm smile. I simply returned the smile and bid her farewell.

While I headed for the exit, Mr. White accidentally collided with me, causing his wine to spill on my suit jacket. "Oh my goodness, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't see you," he claimed, although it was evident that he had.

I responded with a resigned, "It's alright," as I was eager to avoid any further drama and simply wanted to depart. However, Mr. White had other intentions. "No, no, let me make it right. How much did this cost you, 20 dollars? 50 dollars? Or is it your father's?" He began to laugh right in my face with his friends. A group of people circled around us.

That was the last string of my patience and I was just about to punch him in the face when a voice came. "This isn't the appropriate way to handle a situation when you've made a mistake, Mr. White. Have you perhaps let your manners slip with age?" Scarlett remarked, offering me her handkerchief. I just looked at her surprised.

Mr. White's laughter ceased, and he directed a stern look at Scarlett. "Do you not believe an apology is in order?" she inquired. He left without uttering a word, and Scarlett turned to me, saying, "let's go".

Once we were outside, she inquired, "Would you like a ride?" I was having a hard time understanding her; we had only met this evening, and her behavior suggested a deeper connection. "No, thanks," I declined and started searching for a taxi. She nodded, saying, "As you wish," and got into her car.

I got in the taxi and headed home if you can call it a home that is, it's a studio apartment where I live alone. I was laying on my bed when I got a text from an unknown number. "Stardust Café, Friday 5pm" it said. I signed, that night I slept with only one thing on my mind "Scarlett Jules".