smoke in the air|j.m.

"Just put the cigarette down, it's gonna kill you" y/n told Jure, who gave her a look of utter disbelief. He was leaning on the balcony door while y/n was sitting on the floor, her back resting on the wall right next to Jure. Right next to her, a picture frame of her and Jure, smiling brightly after a match of the slovenian national basketball team, was laying broken, the sharp glass having made a small cut where their shoulders were touching. She couldn't even remember how their fight started, but it escalated way too quickly and ended with a deafening silence. Not even half a meter was between them, but y/n felt that Jure was miles away from her, unreachable. He huffed and kept his piercing gaze on her. "After this fiasco tonight, that's all you have to say?" he said as y/n tried to remain calm for her own sanity.

"The fact that we had an argument doesn't mean that I don't care about you Jure" she calmly replied as Jure drew in a large breath of smoke, exhaling pretentiously on the living room, earning a glare from y/n. "You are pathetic" she told him and turned her attention back to the broken frame. Broken, like the barriers that held their relationship together. It wasn't their first argument and she was sure it wasn't gonna be the last either. She started tracing the photo, completely forgetting about the glass shards surrounding it, when a piece made its way through her delicate skin, getting stuck in her index finger, droplets of blood falling on the Goran Dragić shirt adorning her excited figure on the damn photo she held. She cursed under her breath, something that caught Jure's attention, whose eyes fell on y/n's look of pure discomfort and then at her injured hand, his face alerted. He quickly entered the living room, getting a gentle hold of her hand, examining it before ushering her to the bathroom to help her remove the shard.

y/n didn't feel pain the moment she injured herself. She didn't feel pain as Jure tried sanitizing the area, not even when he started squeezing her finger to assist the shard to pop out of her finger. There was a big hole cut deep into her heart, that no physical pain could match. She kept her eyes on Jure, who was nibbling on his bottom lip being as focused as ever, a look of concern clouding his vision. As he managed to pick up the small glass, he smiled, a genuine smile for having helped his girlfriend and moved his gaze on her eyes, his smile still evident. However, he didn't meet the same excitement on y/n eyes, as she was trying to fight back her tears. "It's not about the glass, is it? We need to talk I guess." he said as y/n nodded, simple whispering "I hope we can have a proper conversation without breaking the whole house down". She couldn't trust her voice, she knew that just a little more power while result in her breakdown and that was the last thing she wanted. He gently wrapped her finger in a bandaid, gave it a light kiss and led her to their kitchen, filling two cups of water and sitting oppose to y/n, who couldn't stop looking at her lap, not ready to face the conversation yet.

"Why aren't you looking at me?" Jure said getting a hold of her hand and squeezing it, y/n's however staying still. Jure heart was pounding on his chest, this argument reached new heights, crossed boundaries, left them both naked and unprotected, unable to take a grasp to save themselves. "Please, talk to me, don't do this, please y/n" he pleaded as y/n tried to look at his eyes, quickly averting her gaze, she couldn't just allow herself to cry once again, she had already done that multiple times the last couple of hours. "Talk to me y/n, don't do this to me, I can't take it right now please" he rose his voice, trembling, tears already finding their way on his flushed cheeks. She knew exactly what she was feeling, she just couldn't trust her voice for the world. However she owed Jure a sentence or two, so she gulped, took a deep breath and finally looked at Jure for more than 2 seconds.

"You are not the Jure I fell in love with"

A sound just above a whisper, but it rang in his ears like a drum, playing a deafening sound, a monotonous noise, non-stop, driving him crazy. He shot up, kicking his chair back is if it would kick those ten words that y/n mouthed as well and fell on his knees, getting a hold of y/n's forearms, trying to get her to look at him." It's me y/n, please. It's me, it's Jure. Look at me, look at me please" he pleaded, his hands shaking. It only took a second of her gaze falling to his eyes for her to break down, sobs racking her body, her shoulders moving up and down in an uneven pace. It was the first time Jure didn't know how to react, he didn't know if she wanted him closer or as far away as possible, but still did what he wanted and what he had to do. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her closer, his every muscle tense as she didn't lean on him as she always did, she didn't wrap her arms around his torso, she didn't nuzzle her face on the crook of his neck. Instants afterwards, he felt every single cell of is body relax, as y/n fell into his arms, getting of her chair and joining Jure on his current sitting position, sitting on his lap and wrapping her legs around his waist.

"It's not too late to fix this, love. I promise it's still me, it's still the Jure you met 3 years ago. I am here, I am holding you right now" he told her as y/n tried to take a deep breath and answer back, but her voice failed her once again as she only managed to whisper a small "I am afraid". It crushed Jure. It crushed him to know that he was the reason she was afraid, his own choices, the words he mouthed. He didn't know if she was in his arms because she wanted to or because he was the only source of support she had at the moment. "What are you afraid of? I am here, I can oust every ounce of fear from you" he said as y/n made direct eye contact with the blond boy holding her and lightly shook her head, but enough to tell Jure what her mouth couldn't articulate. "Why have you been like that the last week then, Jure? If you think we are okay, if you still love me like you said, if you insist that you are the same person I met , what is bothering you so much that you try and pick up a fight from the slightest thing I say?" she said, Jure feeling absolutely disgusted with himself. He was losing her, she was slipping away. He had been so damn careless, he couldn't even pinpoint the reason why he started those damn fights, he was irresponsible and inexcusable.

"I am sorry I hurt you y/n. I dont know what got into me, I dont know why I am like that. Yes, there is too much stress in the group, but that doesn't justify the way I have been ignoring you. I am sorry I didn't have the strength or the power to sit and talk out our inconveniences. I am an asshole, I am an idiot but please, let's talk this out y/n, please. I can't lose you."

y/n got a strong hold of his hand and gave him a look he had never seen before. It comforted him in a weird way, she wasn't giving him this heart-wrenching look of pure disappointment anymore. "We need to work on our relationship, Jure. You know I am not going to give up on us that easily and of course we have time to save this. We need to try, though. We are slipping away from each other, but it is not too late." she told him as Jure smiled brightly, tears streaming down his face. "Do you want to lay down with me now? Just some quality time for the two of us? I've been so distant that I missed this so much, I missed our everyday life. I am sorry y/n" he told her as y/n simply smiled, Jure studying her face. "I love you more than you would ever imagine" he voiced as y/n smiled once again.

They were going to be just fine.