lull

The clock on the wall was mocking her. With the constant 'tick-tock-tick-tock'. Over and over again, the sound resonated through the silence of the bathroom. Lucy twirled the small plastic stick between her fingers. Positive, Positive, Negative...this one would tell her the obvious.

Lucy knew--there was no way she hadn't noticed the small changes. Her jeans didn't fit, her shirts were too uncomfortable to wear, the vanilla candle now made her sick. The glint of her engagement ring burned her eyes, and Lucy sighed. She rested her head against the wall, tossing the second pregnancy test into the trashcan. Now wasn't the right time...part of her wondered if there would ever be. Luke said he was on the mend--he promised her that he was getting better--but Lucy saw the red rim of his eyes, the twitch and tremble of his hands, the money that was slowly diminishing from her piggybank. 

"What do I want..." She said, closing her eyes. They were beginning to sting, her chest felt tight, and her teeth dug into her bottom lip. What did she want? 

In a perfect world--in a world Lucy foolishly dreamed would be--they would've been married by now. Mrs. Crain and Mr. Crain would've been there, Shirley would've smiled at them and Nell wouldn't have looked so tired and broken. Steve would've laughed and joked around like he used to when they were younger, annoying Theo. Lucy would've found out she was pregnant with Luke by her side. The baby would've been planned, and the only emotion she would've felt was joy. She wouldn't be hiding in the bathroom with the door locked, body twitching at the slightest of sounds. 

Luke would beam at her, smiling and showering her with kisses as she laughed and clung to him. They would've been scared no matter what, but it was something they would've done together. 

"But what do I want to do?" The tear that trailed down her cheek felt unusually cold. 

Keep the baby? Give it up for adoption? Abort it? Who was she kidding, Lucy knew that the moment she found out she was carrying, she wouldn't be able to let her miracle leave. She'd desperately wanted this when she was younger. A family. A family that was as loving as the Crain's before everything...well, before everything. 

But should she tell Luke? Should he even have the right to know? The first person she wanted to tell when she found out was Steve. Steve would be there--Steve would know what to do. How messed up was that? A choked sob had Lucy pressing the back of her hand against her mouth, trying to silence the panic and sadness and joy and fear that was overwhelming her. 

"Look at your mom, kid." Lucy whispered, the shrill timer ruining the clock's mockery. Lucy merely blinked at the pink plus sign before her. "Crying on the bathroom floor." 

A mix of a cry and laugh escaped her lips, and she buried her head in her hands. 

"What a fucking shit show."