vi

"But I don't want to go!" Lucy cried as she stomped her foot, crocodile tears filling her hazel eyes. Her mother, Catherine Grace, stared down at her daughter and sighed, disappointed in Lucy's childish behavior.

"This isn't something that is up for debating, Eloise. You will be accompanying the Crain's for the summer while your father and I travel for business." Catherine stated, her voice tight and leaving no room for the six-year-old to argue.

Lucy glared at her mother, her hazel eyes burning into Catherine's honey brown ones as neither of them backed down. She didn't want to stay with the Crain's for the summer, she wanted to be with her mother and father... why couldn't they understand that? Yes, Lucy loved the Crain family as if it were her own, but that didn't mean she wanted to be stuck with the seven of them. Childishly, Lucy rubbed her arm across her nose and sniffled, feeling a flicker of satisfaction when her mother flinched.

"Eloise," Catherine sighed, pulling out a tissue from a box on the coffee table in front of her, "How many times must I tell you to use a napkin."

"I don't know," Lucy shrugged as she took the tissue and squeezed her nose, pulling it away.

Lucy grinned cheekily at Catherine before bounding over to the small tea set that was set close to the fireplace, ensuring that Lucy would not get cold, and Catherine couldn't stop the small smile that crossed her lips. Eloise was Catherine's pride and joy—aside from her son, that was. But, Eloise had always held a special place in Catherine's heart for she was, after all, the last and only daughter that Catherine had been able to produce.

"Mommy," Lucy called and Catherine looked at her daughter, Lucy's hazel eyes sparkling with happiness, the argument that occurred moments ago already forgotten. Catherine gave Lucy a slight nod to show that she was listening, and Lucy continued, "When will daddy be back? And Alistair?"

"Your father will be back later tonight after you are in bed and asleep. Alistair will be coming home in July."

Catherine watched as Eloise's smile dropped. She was aware that Eloise missed her brother, but he had school to attend and, in a few years, so would Eloise. Catherine was certain that in a few years' time, Eloise would understand the reasoning for her brother's absence better—that she would understand the family's reasoning better. Eloise lamely nodded her head before turning her attention back to the tea party she was hosting, taking an empty cup and flipping it upside-down on the saucer and placing the spoon across the top.

"Lucy!"

Her head ached and sharp pain seemed to be burning through her body. She swore that someone was calling her name, but it sounded as though she was miles under the water.