summary

The moment Lucy's feet left the safety of the Crain's car and crunched against the gravel driveway, she knew she wanted nothing more than to go back home.

While there was nothing outwardly wrong with the house that stood before her, Lucy had a deep inkling that there was something very, very wrong inside the house. Every hair on her body raised as her eyes trailed over the house, her heart anxiously pumping in her chest while chills ran laps up and down her spine.

Do not be mistaken.

Lucy wasn't scare of Hill House, no. 

Even though her arms were littered with goosebumps and her grip on her teddy bear tightened, she was a big girl now and big girls weren't scared of inanimate objects. Lucy, if anything, felt unsettled by the house. 

But, since she was a big girl, she had promised her parents that she wouldn't whine or complain to the Crain family, for they had been kind enough to take her in while her parents were away. And, with the Crain's, Lucy felt safe.

So there wasn't a reason to be fussing over the old house.

Entranced by the house, Lucy didn't notice the approaching figure, nor did she notice the confused looks. A sharp squeal escaped her lips as she felt two hands grasp her, her bear dropping in the dirt, as she was dragged towards the ominous-looking house. Shooting a look over her shoulder, Lucy flashed Shirley a smile when she saw the older girl had picked up her fallen bear before focusing her sights in front of her.

"Come on, Lou!" Luke Crain, her best friend, exclaimed as he pulled her towards the house. His twin, and Lucy's other best friend, Nellie giggled happily as she assisted her brother in dragging Lucy towards the house, "This is gonna be the best summer ever!"

Lucy only hoped that that were true.