vii

The house felt colder than usual and Lucy knew that tonight was not going to be one of her better nights.

Whenever it came, the house would feel colder... more distant and closed off. Which was weird for Lucy to think because she was talking about a house and not a person.

"Lucy!" Lucy jumped as Nellie's screech caught her attention as she ran towards her, Steve not far behind her, "Run, Lucy! The monster's coming to get us! We have to save Luke!"

Any fear of the night about to come quickly vanished from Lucy's young mind, and she was quick to follow Nellie down the hall and towards the stairs, hesitating and tripping over herself.

"Lucy, hurry up! He's gonna get you," Nellie called from the bottom of the staircase, and Lucy brushed off her hands as she got back up and ran down the stairs, giggling wildly as Nellie grabbed her hand and the two ran towards the kitchen.

He had this odd fascination with the small lift they had found in the kitchen days before. He was constantly talking about all the possibilities at the bottom of the lift, saying that it could be a secret room filled with treasure or toys. Lucy wanted to believe him, but she always felt like there was something bad down there, especially after seeing how Mrs. Dudley responded to Luke peering down the chute.

"Luke!" Lucy called, stumbling into the kitchen while Nellie went to check another nearby room, neither of them noticing that Steve had gone a different direction. "Luke! Where are you? The monster's gonna get us! We have to go!"

The room remained eerily silent as Lucy rushed around it, checking under the table and pulling out the chairs. Stopping in her tracks, Lucy stood in the middle of the kitchen, stumped. She could still hear Nellie calling out for her brother, but if Luke wasn't in the kitchen... she had no idea where he could be.

A rustle from behind her was what caught her attention and she whipped around, fear clenching her heart. At the sight of the dumbwaiter, a smirk crossed Lucy's face. Of course, why wouldn't he be hiding in there?

"Luke," Lucy teasingly cooed as she slowly approached the dumbwaiter, "I know you're in there."

Without a second thought, Lucy yanked the dumbwaiter open with a sharp laugh, a look of confusion crossing her face as she stared at nothing. Nobody was in there and Luke was nowhere in sight.

"Luke? Where are you?" Lucy slowly backed away from, her back smashing into something hard and her body tensing. She knew it wasn't Luke, the build was too tall. She also knew that it wasn't Steve because it was softer and reminded her of Mrs. Crain.

But Lucy knew it wasn't Mrs. Crain for she was out in the garden with Shirley and Theo.

Lucy's heart dropped along with the temperature and she took a deep breath, shutting her eyes.