iv

"Do you see anything?" Luke asked Lucy, watching her stand on her tippy toes to peer inside the small, black tunnel that was presented in front of both him and Nellie. The two watched as Lucy tightly gripped the round edge of the tunnel and tilted her head, almost as if she were trying to see deeper.

Squinting her eyes, Lucy tried to angle her head in a different direction to allow some light to come in. Internally, she was sulking. She didn't understand why Nellie and Luke wanted her to look inside it. She was the shortest of the three and, coincidentally, the youngest. Pulling her head away, she rocked back on her heels before turning to look at the two inquiring eyes.

"No, it's too dark," Lucy said and watched as Luke's shoulders slumped with disappointment. A frown crossed her lips at his action, and she felt her own shoulders slump too. If only she had been a little taller than maybe she would've been able to see what was inside.

"Maybe you send messages through it?" Luke guessed as the three of them stared curiously at the tube-like structure. It reminded Lucy of the trumpet her father kept stored in a case next to the piano at her family home.

"What'd you find?" Lucy's head snapped to the side and she gave Theo a bright smile. If there was an older kid there, they were almost certain to know what it was. Lucy's expression faltered for a moment—thinking that since Steve and Shirley were older than maybe they had a better chance of knowing what it was—before shrugging the thought off.

Luke shrugged as he watched his older sister approach him, "Don't know."

"Here." Theo nudged Lucy, Nellie, and Luke out of the way, "Let me see."

Lucy watched with large, inquisitive eyes as Theo grabbed onto the trumpet-like structure, her face crumpling into a look of confusion. Lucy turned her head to share a look with Nellie, neither of them understanding what exactly was going on.

"What?" Luke asked as Theo hummed in thought, her thumb rubbing against the cold metal.

"It's like a...telephone..." Theo said and Lucy watched as the look of confusion on her face remained. Lucy pursed her lips and tilted her head, maybe she should have gotten Steve or Shirley, "But for inside the house. Here, Nellie, Lou, you stay there. Come on."

Lucy watched with furrowed brows as Theo guided Luke out of the room and towards the stairs. Looking to her side, she noticed that Nellie had the same expression on her face and Lucy shared a look with her before they both looked back at the 'telephone'.

"I wonder what it does," Lucy said, tracing her fingers on the rim of the 'telephone'. When she drew her hand back, she expected to see dust covering her small finger, but merely blinked when she saw that her finger was clean.

"Well, if it's a telephone, you probably talk to one another," Nellie stated matter-of-factly to Lucy as she peered closer to the telephone, ignoring Lucy's slight glare.