4. #toolatetoapologize

Neža's POV

At exactly six o'clock Bojan entered the coffee shop again, as if he had been waiting around the corner waiting for the exact minute I would allow him back in. How pathetic...

"Než?" Bojan walked past the one person still waiting for their order and headed straight to me.

I was still behind the counter, preparing the final drink of the day. "You do see I'm still busy, don't you?" I said with a fake smile. "I can recommend you to an optometrist if that'd make you happy."

Bojan apparently grew some brains in the last few seconds as he seemed to know it was better to stay quiet right now. I finished up work and headed to the back to ditch the apron and grab my bag out of my locker. I wasn't gonna hear him out in the coffee shop with some colleagues still present. "Alright let's go." I said as I walked past Bojan out to the streets of Ljubljana.

"Neža, look, I'm sorry for what happened." Bojan started off.

"If you're just here to apologise, don't. It's all in the past. We've both moved on. You're forgiven, we can both continue to live our lives and this thing remains in the past. If you're here to ask me to do literally anything for you, don't bother apologising, you don't mean it, you're just trying to get me to say yes, and it won't work. Just ask." I interrupted him before he could continue. I really didn't want to have this conversation, so I tried my best to make this conversation as short as possible.

"Can't you just shut up for once and let me talk?" Bojan snapped, raising his voice. His sudden change in demeanour had me startled. For once, I had nothing to say. "You can pretend that you don't care about what happened but if you really didn't care you wouldn't be acting like this towards me."

"Get to the point Bojan" I sighed and crossed my arms.

"You're way more insufferable than I remember." Bojan countered.

"Likewise." I hummed and put my hands on my hips. "Can we wrap this up?"

"God fine." Bojan sighed and ran a hand through his hair, clearly getting agitated with me, much to my enjoyment. "I wanted to ask you for Jure's number."

I raised my eyebrows when Bojan mentioned my brother. Jure was a drummer, and had a film degree, both of which I have told Bojan before, so I assumed he needed Jure for one of those reasons. "Just DM him on Insta. I'm not giving out his number without his agreement."

"We tried." It was Bojan's turn to roll his eyes now. "He isn't replying. Not to any of us. And I kinda had a feeling you had something to do with it."

"I didn't even know you guys reached out to him." I shrugged. "This sounds like it's something between you and him. Did you really think you could barge in here, make up some apology so you'd get me to force my brother to talk to you? That's a bit far-fetched don't you think?"

"Neža, please..." Bojan sounded desperate at this point. "You're telling me that him ignoring all of us has nothing to do with what happened?"

"I don't know, how would you feel if a guy reached out to you and you knew he had screwed over your little sister? I don't blame him for ignoring your messages, but that's all his decision. I had nothing to do with it. It just sounds like the consequences of your own actions, Bojan. Deal with it." I said with a shrug and swung my bag over my shoulder. "If that's all I'll get going."

"I know I didn't handle that situation like I should. I didn't know how to tell you I was dropping out and skipping out on the assignment. I was young and stupid. I didn't want to face you, like let you down or disappoint you." Bojan didn't seem comfortable talking about it, which made the gut feeling of this apology being fake all the more present. I knew how he sounded when he was confident, genuine, and this clearly wasn't it. No, the uncertainty in his voice made it seem like he was on the verge of having a mental breakdown. This couldn't be real.