Chapter 3: Breakthrough?

Izuku sat on the floor staring at his closed door in stunned silence. Had he just? Could this actually be real? Could he have actually found something that worked?

"Izuku, are you home?" His mum knocked on his door, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah mum!" Izuku scrambled to stand up and opened his door, flinging himself at his mum to hug her.

"Woah, Izuku, careful or you'll knock me over!" His mum laughed and returned the hug, "Is everything okay sweetie? You don't normally hug me like this," she asked, continuing to squeeze him tightly. It wasn't that he didn't normally hug his mum, but he didn't normally just hug her out of nowhere with no warning.

Izuku knew he couldn't tell her about his breakthrough, he wasn't even sure if it was real or just his imagination, but he still gave his mum a big grin, "I'm just really happy!"

His mum smiled at him, "I'm glad you're happy  sweetheart, but I think you'll be even happier when you find out what I'm making for dinner."

Izuku immediately jumped out of the hug and stared at his mum with stars in his eyes, "KATSUDON!!??"

"Yep," His mum chuckled, moving towards the kitchen as she lifted up her groceries bags and showed off the ingredients she had bought, knowing that Izuku would follow.

"YES!!" Izuku cheered, following his mum into the kitchen. BEST. DAY. EVER!

________________________________

With a belly full of katsudon, Izuku bid his mum goodnight and headed to his room. He was supposed to read for half an hour and then go to sleep, his mum would check on him to make sure, but how was he supposed to sleep!? He needed to research! He needed to test this new technique again and find out for sure whether what happened earlier was real or just his imagination!

Izuku grabbed his notebook and sat down on his bed, flipping to the notes he'd taken on chapter Two.

When first attempting to sense aura, you will find it may take months, possibly years before you are able to open your senses. Don't be discouraged by a lack of progress, after all, this is an art that requires patience and discipline to master. However, once your senses have awakened for the first time, you may feel a tingling sensation or a pulse when someone is entering your sense's range.

With enough practice, that sensation will become visual as you will be able to see a person's aura glowing in your mind's eye, allowing you to see them even with your eyes closed. The stronger the aura or the more familiar you are with a person, the easier it will be to sense them. Whereas the weaker the aura the harder it will be to sense, much like trying to see the tiniest details of a painting, you need to be very close to the weak aura and even then you might not be able to sense it if your senses aren't yet stronger enough.

Izuku noted down the pulse he had felt as described in the book and realised that the pulse hadn't told him it was his mother, it had felt more like a pull in the direction of the front door, but not like a physical pull, more like his attention had been pulled in that direction. Logically he knew that he couldn't just assume that he'd succeeded in sensing aura. It could've easily been one of his natural senses that subconsciously noticed his mum getting home before his brain could process it. It might've even been his internal clock knowing exactly what time his mum normally gets home, the same way the human body will wake up a minute before your wake up alarm goes off because it's used to the routine.

The only way to know for sure would be to test it again and again until he was certain, starting with tonight.

Izuku sat cross-legged on his bed, placing his noise cancelling headphones over his ears and closed his eyes. He purposely avoided looking at the time before settling into his meditation, not wanting to know how much time he had left until his mum came in and checked on him. He let his breathing even out and tried to focus on finding his mum's aura.