Chapter 5: Kacchan

So, double update. I had a burst of inspiration and this was the result. It wasn't supposed to take up a whole chapter, but I just kept writing and here we are.

I'll be honest, I hate the excessive use of "Kacchan" in this chapter, but Izuku will be Izuku.

________________________________

Izuku's ninth birthday had snuck up on him. He'd been so focused on training his Aura Sense and learning to control his new ability to sense emotions that the months had flown by without him even realising it.

He had woken up that morning planning to go to the library like he usually did on a Saturday. However, that plan quickly went out the window when his mum surprised him with a, "Happy Birthday Izuku!" upon entering the kitchen and the reveal of an amazing looking breakfast.

The two of them usually ate a traditional Japanese breakfast, though he'd never complained about that, his mum was an excellent cook and she always knew how to add amazing flavours to a dish. This morning however, she had really gone out of her way to make a traditional American style breakfast, the perfect breakfast for an All Might fan.

He had thanked his mum over and over as he gleefully tucked into the bacon and eggs, choosing to save the toast and then the pancakes for last.

Of course that's where the fun mostly ended.

A sense of dread curled in his stomach when his mum announced that they'd be having the Bakugou's over for lunch and presents and Izuku had done his best to not let his disappointment show.

Don't get him wrong, he loved his honorary aunt and uncle. Aunt Mitsuki had been his mum's friend since middle school and she'd always been nice to him, even after he was diagnosed as quirkless. Uncle Masaru was more reserved in his affection, but he was no less nice, he was just the quieter of the two.

No, they weren't the problem, Kacchan was.

The two of them used to be so close, they weren't just best friends, they had been family. Yeah, their parents had been the ones to bring them together, but they'd quickly bonded over their shared love of heroes and they'd been inseparable.

But that all had changed once Kacchan got his quirk and Izuku didn't.

At first, Kacchan had insisted that Izuku's quirk was late and had even defended him against the other kids, who had been teasing him for not having a quirk yet. He'd told Izuku not to worry, that his quirk would come in any day now and that they'd still be heroes.

Obviously, that hadn't happened.

The day after Izuku's life changing doctors appointment, he had approached Kacchan at school, intending to tell him the bad news, but Aunt Mitsuki had beaten him to it and had already told him. Izuku would later learn that the reason she'd told him had been because she'd hoped Kacchan would protect him from the other kids.

"Is it true, 'zuku?" Kacchan had asked, his voice trembling with his fists at his side.

Izuku hadn't even been able to say it aloud, he had just nodded and burst into tears, blubbering out apologies.

In that moment, it was as if something had snapped in Kacchan. He'd shoved Izuku to the ground, looking so angry, as if Izuku had betrayed him. He'd screamed and yelled, enough so that their teacher had had to separate them. Their teacher had comforted Kacchan and had left Izuku to cry in the corner.

Birthdays used to be fun.

Birthdays used to be a time when their mixed little family got together and spent time with each other. With Aunt Mitsuki and Uncle Masaru's fashion business keeping them so busy, birthdays were the only times the two families made time to spend together.