Chapter 16: Toga Himiko; Origin

Hey, sorry for the late update. In my defence, I was dealing with a cyclone. I wish I was kidding. It's been a really stressful couple of weeks and I haven't had much time to write.

That being said, this chapter ended up being my longest yet at 5468 words so I hope it's worth the wait.

_______________________________

The past year had gone by so quickly, it was hard to believe that it was almost Christmas already. Izuku had been counting down the days until the hero course exams, but had somehow completely forgotten about Christmas.

When Izuku had realised that he would need to go buy some Christmas presents, his mum had insisted that he went during the week instead of on Sunday, his rest day. She'd explained that the shops wouldn't be as busy during the week, whereas Sunday would be the day when a lot of people would be getting their last minute Christmas shopping done - though Izuku suspected that she just didn't want him running around getting Christmas presents on his rest day.

"I've seen your class schedule, you're so far ahead Izuku, taking one day off isn't going to make you fall behind," She'd told him.

It had taken some convincing, but once he'd actually set out to start his Christmas shopping, he knew his mother had been right. The streets weren't very busy and the shops were much the same as most people were still at work or at school.

Izuku didn't really know what he was looking for, but he figured if he just went to enough shops then he'd find something eventually. Aunt Mitsuki, Uncle Masaru and his mum were the only people he needed to buy presents for, same as usual, so it wasn't like he was going to be buying a lot.

He just needed three perfect presents.

_______________________________

Izuku found a present for his mother rather quickly, she was a relatively easy person to buy for, however his Aunt and Uncle were a different story. Neither of them liked it when the Midoriyas spent too much money on them for birthdays and Christmas, they much preferred smaller gifts that had some thought put into them.

After looking around Musutafu for several hours and trying to find the perfect gift for them, his search eventually led him to Hosu.

The sun was setting by the time he'd found something that he thought his Aunt and Uncle would like and he was starting to get pretty hungry, so Izuku bought himself a roll of sushi at a nearby shop to tide him over before he began making his way back to the train station.

He must've been hungrier than he'd thought though, because he finished the sushi roll in seconds and felt himself getting even more hungry as he kept walking. Maybe he should turn around and get some more sushi? Surely one more roll wouldn't ruin his appetite for dinner, especially if he was this hungry?

No, he sighed to himself. He'd promised his mum that he'd be back before dark and he was already going to be pushing it to get back in time so he reluctantly kept walking.

However, with each step Izuku took, the gnawing hunger just kept getting worse.

'Why do I feel so hungry?'

It didn't make sense. Izuku knew that he'd had breakfast this morning and he'd eaten a decent sized lunch at the Musutafu shopping centre, not to mention the sushi he'd just eaten.

And yet, the hunger continued to grow until it began to actually hurt. Every step left him feeling weaker and light headed as his body screamed at him that it was starving. After a few more metres, Izuku stumbled into an alley and collapsed to his knees, unable to stay standing.