eleven ~ her death sentence

The morning after the groggiest day in the Maze on record, Londyn woke up with a pulsing ache in her head, sitting up stiffly to find herself with immense vertigo.

It felt as though she hadn't slept, and as if the temperature of her room had dropped to sub-zero.

Her mouth was bone dry, and breathing through her nose was a challenge. She couldn't remember the last time she had gotten sick, but she couldn't imagine it being much better than this.

Refusing to succumb to sickness, she got herself ready for the day as normal. The morning sun made her eyes hurt, and her shoulders felt heavier.

"Morning, Fry," she spoke dryly, and Frypan's face fell when he saw her.

"Mornin', Londyn, you don't look so good," he told her honestly. "Don't sound good either."

"Yeah, just a little cold," she said, shrugging it off like it was nothing. "Could I get some water please?"

"Of course," Frypan replied, holding out his hand for her to give him her bottle. "You want tea? Might help you feel a bit better if you're going out there today."

Londyn frowned. "We have tea in this place?"

Frypan drew a finger to his lips. "I only let my friends have it, it's short supply."

She smiled at him. "Well, that would be great, thank you."

"Comin' right up," he spoke, and she leaned against the counter, glancing back to see if Minho was up yet.

Frypan placed a metal cup in front of her, steam flying off of it. She inhaled it, closing her eyes as it instantly made her feel better.

"Thank you," she spoke.

Then, she felt a hand snake around her waist. She looked up, startled. "Oh, hey."

"Hey," Minho replied, kissing her on the cheek before he realized that she didn't look right. "What's up with you? You look all green."

"Yeah, I think I caught something," she told him, sniffling before taking a sip of her tea. She straightened his collar with her free hand. "Are you okay?"

He nodded, despite his face saying otherwise. Londyn tilted her head. "Are you worried about me?"

It was almost as if he did a perimeter check before answering, but he eventually pursed his lips together. "Stay here today."

"No, I'm--"

"You're stayin' here and that's the last I wanna hear of it, girl-shank," he told her, lowering his voice. "I'll get Jeff to come by your room."

Londyn groaned as if she were a child. She widened her eyes as if to beg him to let her work. "Please. I'll be fine."

He neared his face to hers, and she had to try not to chuckle. "Not happening."

Though she was somewhat relieved not to have to work her body double time while she was clearly unable to, the idea of laying in bed all day was most boring. Defeated, Londyn huffed. "Fine."

Minho smirked. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you're gonna miss me today."

"No," she scoffed. "I'm gonna miss the Grievers. Shut up."

She started walking away from him, but he saw the cup she'd forgotten on the counter. "Hey, girl-shank. This yours?"

Londyn scurried back to grab it. "Thank you."

"Careful, if your fever gets any higher, you might start hallucinating," he joked, tucking her hair behind her ear. He kissed her on the cheek goodbye. "I'll see you later on."