twenty ~ when the change sinks in

Chuck stood with rosy cheeks and a smile on his face in the open area of the Glade below the Watchtower, alongside a group of other boys who were covering their heads with all sorts of objects as rocks were falling from the sky.

"Chuck, what's goin' on?" Thomas asked as the Runners reached him, and the young boy pointed up at the tower."

"Girls are awesome!"

"Leave me alone!" a female voice shouted, and Londyn's jaw fell open hearing it. She glanced around, chuckling to herself as she found it most amusing that her friends were being defeated by the new girl.

Some of the guys were having fun with it, others were annoyed and distressed that the girl was tossing heavy rocks down at their heads.

Feeling sorry for her as none of the guys were helping, Londyn darted for the ladder while the others kept yelling up at the girl.

"I don't think she likes us very much," Newt joked as he was taking refuge under a crate lid with Winston. "Careful, Lond!"

"What do you want from me?!" the girl yells down, still not noticing that Londyn was making her way up.

She hurried to the top amongst the ruckus, popping her head up to find a knife pointed at her as soon as she got a look at the girl.

"Whoa," she gasped, holding up her hands. "I'm not here to hurt you, I just wanna talk."

"Who are you?!" the girl demanded, the knife still pointed at her.

This is not how Londyn had imagined meeting another girl at all. "My name is Londyn. I'm the only other girl here."

Somewhat sceptical, the girl began to lower her arm which sported the knife, to Londyn's relief. "Why?"

"I don't know," Londyn replied, and she knew that answer didn't do her much justice. "But, it's probably a good enough reason not to kill me."

The girl's eyes diverted from Londyn's, and she hung her head, her dark brown hair swaying in the wind. "What is this place?"

"This is the Glade," Londyn said, and studying the girl's face. "This has been our home for almost 3 years. A new guy comes up every month."

"Why can't I remember anything?" the girl then asked, not acknowledging what Londyn had previously said, but she knew what it felt like to have a million questions.

"None of us can," Londyn said. "Your name will come back in a couple of days."

"No, I know my name," she replied. "Teresa."

"Oh," Londyn's eyes widened. This had to be a record time that one managed to remember their name in. "That's a nice name."

The girl half-smiled, still unsure, but certainly not as unsettled as she had been previously.

"You, uh," Londyn continued, managing to sit down next to her, her legs crossed. "You came up saying Thomas' name. Do you know-- Do you remember Thomas?"

Teresa frowned, as if something had just lit a match in her brain. It was the only thing she could remember. His name. "I don't know."

"Hey, it's okay," Londyn said softly, her eyes panning over the greenery which had become home. "I know how it feels when you're new here. Just stick with me."

"How do I know you're not all here to hurt me?"

"Because we probably would have done it when you were passed out," Londyn told her, smiling morbidly after. "Seriously, you're safe here, I promise, and we're working on a way out."

"Where am I supposed to sleep?"

"You'll get your own room."

"How do we eat?"