nineteen ~ seeing the end

"Will this be enough?" Minho asked Thomas as they were reunited with him in the Deadheads, tugging at his leather vest with his thumbs resting under the straps.

The Keepers followed behind Minho and Londyn one by one, including Chuck, who looked more afraid than the others. Thomas' eyes studied all of the group, wondering how they could all look so relaxed when they were about to walk into the place that had been taunting them for three years.

"You guys all know what we're doing here, right?" he asked, surprised at the turnout.

"Minho and Londyn trust you," Winston said. "That's good enough for me."

Londyn gave a nod to Winston as she tied her hair into a low ponytail, and he patted her on the back. Thomas then shot a look at Minho, as he went back over the half-composed plan in his mind once again, not that he was very great at sticking to his own plans.

"Okay. Let's go."

The Gladers sprinted for the Maze doors, hoping that they would be fast enough for no one to see them as they took each step through the long grass. As they reached the entrance, Londyn looked back to check on Chuck, who had stopped and was hesitating about this daunting task.

"Wait, guys," Londyn called suddenly, making her friends stop. She jogged back to Chuck, Thomas following after her.

"Chuck, you okay?" Thomas asked. "What's goin' on, buddy?"

Chuck's face wore embarrassment in front of the older boys, and he was trying not to make eye contact with any of them, even Thomas and Londyn.

He finally looked up at Londyn, placing his hands on his hips as it looked like he was about to cry. "I don't think I can do this."

"Hey, that's okay," Londyn comforted, placing her hand on his shoulder and bending down towards his height. "You might actually be our hero if you stay here, instead."

"Yeah," Thomas agreed, touching Chuck's other shoulder as the boy frowned. "Keep guard, make sure no one knows we're gone. Can you do that?"

Chuck nodded reluctantly, and Londyn tried to give him the most reassuring look she could manage, but I don't think he's ever looked more fearful before.

"We'll be back, I promise," she assured him, and he nodded again. He bit onto his lip, before he suddenly threw his arms around her for a hug. "Hey," she chuckled, feeling how tightly he was squeezing her. "Don't worry."

"Please be careful," he begged, clenching his eyes shut. Londyn pulled away, her hands clasping his shoulders.

"You know we will," she said. "Think of this like a normal run, on a normal day."

Taking the advice, Chuck took a breath, managing to calm himself down a bit inside.

Londyn turned to catch up with the others, reaching Minho who she was to lead alongside. He smirked at her admiringly as they started to jog. "Could you get any cuter?"

Her cheeks melted into a smile, and she turned her head away from him bashfully. "Shut up."

They carried on, the aching worry of not making it back in time plaguing their minds. Time was everything, especially when they bore Gladers who had never run the Maze before. It was still damp and slippery upon certain stretches, particularly the darkest corners of the Maze which were hard for the sun to reach.

"Come on!" Minho yelled as the three Keepers examined their surroundings in awe, which caused them to slow down to take it all in. Londyn remembered when she had such a reaction to the place, wondering why she ever felt enticed by it in the first place.